Author Topic: 12 volt reading from Negative terminal  (Read 609 times)

Offline richardnlambert

• View Profile
12 volt reading from Negative terminal
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »
Hi All

I had a short in my wiring and confirmed this with my multimeter I disconnected the negative lead and set my meter to Amps then put one lead to the negative lead and the other to the negative post and got a reading (can’t remember the reading) however I then used a test lamp which lit up and I had 12volts from the negative lead to negative post.
I think I have found the short but still get a reading of 12 volts across the negative lead and negative post but no amps and the test light did not light up

All the above with ignition on or set to park

Have I got another issue
Thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 12 volt reading from Negative terminal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 11:06:01 PM »
You are basically measuring the battery voltage

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 07:57:03 AM »
Assuming the ignition is on, the current you have measured will be the the coil and field winding current. Don’t leave the ignition on for long as I understand it’s possible to overheat and damage your coils. In fact, if you rotate the engine, you will see the current fluctuate as the points open and close. The voltage ‘negative to ground should be virtually zero as the negative post and lead should be at substantially the same potential. You will of course measure the battery voltage from positive to negative or indeed positive to earth, if the negative lead is connected. Remember that voltage is what you call it and is always ‘relative’. The voltage you have measured will be proportional to the the current x the lead impedance. V=IR.

Offline richardnlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 03:04:59 PM »
Thanks you’re right about the coils my neighbour had just fitted new coil to his classic car left the ignition on overnight only to find the oil from the coil all over his engine

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 03:30:17 PM »
Thanks you’re right about the coils my neighbour had just fitted new coil to his classic car left the ignition on overnight only to find the oil from the coil all over his engine

Nasty,  I've accidentally left the ignition on decades ago without causing a problem - I was told it was proably because the points were either closed or open - forgotten which it is that messes them up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:22:49 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 03:48:54 PM »
When I expect to work long time with IGN ON, I do this (see pic). If I want to check for spark, I have a wire with alligator clip on one end and the other end is just wire. To test spark, I clamp the aligator clip on the points little bolt and I strike the stranded copper wire on the engine, gearbox, whatever ground. The result is a serie of sparks that will give you a far better impression of the spark's quality.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 10:21:22 PM »
Good tip👍

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal