Author Topic: Kill Switch / Throttle Cables  (Read 383 times)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Kill Switch / Throttle Cables
« on: March 12, 2023, 11:10:36 PM »
Hi,

I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago, when i was looking for a CB750. Well, I've just collected my new (to me) K6. I'm working through a gremlin it has:
- Won't run if it's off choke, after warming for a few minutes, by which time it'snot happy running on choke;
- No.4 is not getting as hot; and
- No throttle play / not returning back on the twistgrip).

I'll go through the carbs. Check, clean, synch etc. Manifold rubbers look OK and clean new airfilter, airbox looks OK. Before I do, I'm going to check the ignition over (points), plugs, coils and leads, plus timing. I'd also like to clean and check the contacts on the kill switch. I'll also look at the valve clearances (and cam chain tension while I'm at it).

Would be grateful for some advice:
- The throttle cables are the stock push/pull arrangement and look to be in good condition.  The spring is there on the gantry. Is there anything obvious I should look into? Cable adjustment be a cause?
- How do I get under the kill Switch, does it pop off from the outside, or do I need to remove the control from the handlebars, to get in from behind? Couldn't find this in the Service Manual.
- Any other suggestions on where to investigate? Afraid I don't have the kit to do a compression test.

Thanks, Martin

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 11:21:42 PM by Martin6 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Switch / Throttle Cables
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 12:22:25 AM »
These old girls do not tick over on choke. pull choke to full, ride away and close choke while riding. One warmed up should tick over.
If number 4 not getting hot. The spark is not firing or float height is wrong.
Adjust cables for correct play, check cables are free running, routed correctly and that the carb spring is in good order.
You have to remove switch gear to access kill switch, it has a plate with two wires, a ball bearing and spring. you can bypass the kill switch with access to wiring in head light bowl  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:39:27 AM »
Plus if it runs at all there is nothing wrong with kill switch, its either on or off, you could spray contact cleaner in there if you insist

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:12:04 AM »
Thanks. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal