Author Topic: CB 500 Four seat hinges cut off  (Read 567 times)

Offline Siloxious

• CB500 Four - General Export K1
    • View Profile
CB 500 Four seat hinges cut off
« on: March 17, 2023, 06:16:03 PM »
Hi, everyone.

I have a CB 500 Four K1 - General Export and I've recently bought my seat.

The problem is that the small cilindrical hinges on the frame itself  (where the seat hinge bars go in) have been cut off by the previous owner. This means that the left side of the seat isn't supported well and that the seat won't rotate around these hinges when the lock is turned open.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there an easy way to make a part that replaces this and I'll be able to open my seat?

Thanks in advance!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 Four seat hinges cut off
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 06:46:14 PM »
They are only a piece of steel tube, you just need accurate sizes and positioning for them

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 07:55:42 PM »
Any chance the 750 hinges could be used, they bolt on to the seat but it may be possible to weld them to the frame.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Siloxious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »
I've recently found a cb750 hinge, that could potentially be welded to the frame. I already have the seat and the hinge that you can see in the first picture.
In the second picture, you can see a hinge set of a CB750F1. The hinge in the middle is the one that I have a question about.

My question is, would the seat hinge that you can see in the second picture fit in between the hinge of the cb500? Also, does it have the same pin size? By looks, it should fit and have the same pin size. Could anyone verify this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »
The first picture is to bolt to the underside of a seat pan and would be too high as a replacement. Don't have a clue on the second picture.

I have repaired a few of the frame mounts and have done it with a steel bar, cut to side and drilled to the pin size. Once you have made these parts , attach them with the pins to the seat bracket, place the seat on ( closing it down on the seat plunger) and tack weld the part in place. Remove the seat and build up the weld   ;)

Any good fabrication workshop should find this easy to do for an hours labour charge .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:10:08 PM by Trigger »

Offline Siloxious

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer!

Indeed, the first picture is the hinge that you'd mount to the seat pan.

I'm sorry, I think I haven't been clear enough haha. My suggested solution would be to mount this hinge (first picture) to the seat pan as it would be in any CB500. Then, I'd use the middle hinge (of the second picture) as a replacement for the two tubes on the frame that have been sawed off. So, it would be welded on the frame in the exact location that the tubes would be. Then, the hinge on the seat pan would be connected to the welded hinge on the frame via a pin.

I was just wondering, if this middle hinge (second picture) fits in between the sides of the original hinge on the seat pan (picture 1) and if they have the same pin size.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 07:47:10 AM »
I would not know and you would not know until, you have them in your hand and measured them up. The CB750F1 bracket is different size from the bracket you require for your seat  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
If the hinge and the bracket don't end up compatible maybe use the bracket off the 750 as well.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal