Author Topic: Lithium battery  (Read 971 times)

Offline NICKYBOY

• View Profile
Lithium battery
« on: April 06, 2023, 08:29:47 AM »
Hi All.
Has anyone tried a smaller than standard, lithium type battery on their 650, if so did it charge ok with the standard charging system?
 Cheers, Nick.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »
Methinks the onboard BMS should handle the charging fine...

Dunno about the "old style" systems, but my ST1100 and my GF's NT700VA are exceptionally happy with the NOCO NLP14...

https://no.co/products/lithium/powersport

Fond them at decent prices on Amazon...

No voltage drop, hence clean spark providing instant firing...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
so they actually build in the battery charger into the pack. The bike just provides an input voltage. I did wonder, as I am very used to using high power LiPo packs for RC cars, but to charge them corectly, you need to use a balance charger able to actually balance the cells as the charge progresses, with low volt protection and opvercharging safeties built in.

Also, the linked pack is using LiFe ( Lithium Ferrite ) which ahs a lower voltage per cell nominally, which isn;t an issue in this application.

The benefit should be better starting, more consistent performance...and a longer life. Just DO NOT let the voltage drop too low as lithium polymer packs are very intolerant of over-discharging. Perfect for a bike thats used daily, but in need of care if it's not.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 02:13:49 PM »
Just DO NOT let the voltage drop too low as lithium polymer packs are very intolerant of over-discharging.
The internal BMS should prevent such... (eliminating the need of buying a new battery if deep discharged like with conventional types...)
You'll however need a designated charger providing constant voltage... (got the small GENIUS 5, an NLP14 is fully charged within 40 minutes)
The BMS makes them also compatible with their boost packs, eyelet cable kit with connector avail...
(disclaimer: DO NOT try to boost any Lithium battery unless the MFG explicitly clears to do so...
NOCO does, the battery BMS and their GB-series boost pack's PCB communicate accordingly...)
This and the solid plastic spacers that click into place (not some adhesive foam blocks like other brands include) sold the deal for me...

With (new, freshly charged) AGM or gel types (tried both) the starter in my GF's V-2 cyl NT700 (EFI) frequently struggled to overcome TDC, sometimes requiring pushing the button 5~6 times...
Now it always cranks reliably at first attempt, promptly firing after 2 rotations...
(the V-4 of the ST1100 has less compression, but also there noticeable higher RPM at cranking and prompt firing...)

Yeah, using LiFePO4 on a classic MCs seems like a sacrilege, but they work really well...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline NICKYBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »
Excellent info. Thanks for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal