Author Topic: Waving  (Read 3708 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Waving
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Why do so few motorcyclists wave these days? I've watched this friendly practice decline over the years.  Now all I seem to get is the very occasional and barely perceptible nod.  What do others here do?  I feel like giving up waving.  Maybe that's what has happened to everyone else. 

Of course, it is completely unimportant realistically but I feel that the camaraderie that used to exist between motorcyclists is fading.  Perhaps I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Waving
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
I tend to nod, but it's rarely returned except by kids on scooters so maybe it's going to make a come back.
I don't recall being waved at, except for a leg wave which I'm told is common in Europe.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
Waving seems a thing of the past, replaced by the nod, the last few years the sideways nod has replaced the traditional nod, i always give the nod and would say i get  80% of bikers reply with the same, all seems good camaraderie round my way, however i have made note that a big proportion of choppers and Harley's only seem to acknowledge there own .
Oh year scooters and learners never nod back either
Pete

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
....a nod is all well and good but it is so hard to see, I'm never sure if people are nodding or not.  Oh well, perhaps I'm old fashioned yet again.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
With modern Fi bikes, take your hand off the throttle to wave and it's like hitting the brakes on one of the old SOHCs!

I nod and get a response from most - even scooters.

It's a lot easier on the continent where they wave with the left hand...

I've also seen the raised right leg quite a lot - but if a motorist moves over, I try to wave a thank you rather than wave a leg - who knows what they'd think I was trying to do...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
  • Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles & Idiot for Hire
    • View Profile
    • Karpettiger Maine Coon Cats
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
I tend to nod at riders coming towards me (yes even on the Harley) and I'll raise the fingers of my throttle hand and pull my elbow in for overtaking bikes.

Nodding is all very well but what counts is "Code of the Road" which is essentially stopping for bikes at the side of the road. That's something I always do (in the car or not). Even if you can't help Karma means that when you need it it'll happen for you.  ;D
He who breaks something to see how it works has left the path of wisdom and become an engineer

Honda CB750F2 1978
Harley Sportster 883 1999
Matchless G80 1960

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
I wave with my left hand, I certainly would not want to take my hand off the throttle!

I heartily agree about stopping to help bikes and have done this many times and have also been helped.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
I'll wave if I'm not engaged in say, cornering, or riding a sidecar out fit when a nods genrally your lot, but I do always try to nod
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
As has been said, Hardley davison riders tend to completely ignore any other rider apart from there own. This is why I disregard there existance on the road & don't bother to stop if they've broken down either...mainly because they normally have a rapid response vehicle not far behind them anyway.

I stopped once for a Jawa 350 twin 2T rider who I didn't realise was a lady until I pulled up...but the barrage of abuse that I got made me just leave promptly & leave her to her own problems.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
I would love to stop for all stopped bikes but parking 53 feet of Artic aint easy!

rhos1355

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
I reckon the custom is being eroded by the "I've-just-got-a-couple-hundred-thou-bonus-on the-stock-exchange-so-I'm-gonna-buy-the-coolest-thing-on-2-wheels" brigade. Seen loadsa these "geezers" recently at Boxhill and thereabouts. Usually congregate in groups of 4-7, all with brand spanking new bikes, leathers, boots, gloves etc.
I would like to see "inter-biker courtesy" as part of the bike test in future.

rigwit

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »
As far as my grey matter will allow, ive just always nodded at others and thats from being on the road erm illeagaly in the late 60,s  to legit in 72  ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
I always stop for pulled over bikes if it looks like the rider is standed - if it's half a dozen blokes standing around having a chat / fag I assume they are just having a break, if they are standing round a bike scratching their heads and looking at a bike, there's likely to be some reason to stop and offer assistance/ sympathy. Other factor is if I'm on my way to work because then if I stop it's not my time I'm being generous with but whatever poor sod who cann't go home til I turn up and I'm almost always running late, can cause all maner of havoc for colleuges who have kids or second jobs. It's care work so until new body arrives the person on shift is stuck there no matter what.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Usually nod to on-coming bikes, raise fingers / hand if I pass them.

Raise fingers / hand to cars that move over to give me space on passing or Q filtering

Always try to help if someone has a prob and alone even if in car.

Had a puncture middle of nowhere on the K2 years ago, some BMW riders stopped then one went home and got me a spare rear tube, some levers and a pump, couldn't have been more helpful. Made me realise how welcome a hand is when you're stuck.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »
.....I don't nod to learners - they have to serve their apprenticeship like everyone else!

...but I'm always happy to talk to them when they are parked up. :)
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal