Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2023, 10:15:31 PM »
And also measurable increases in CO2 in the atmosphere, but that could be volcanoes that were around since time began.  ;D
Also the ever increasing consumption of garlic and the gases that produces!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2023, 11:01:02 AM »
I'm presently on an extended visit to Japan, catching up for time lost during COVID.

So far we've visited seven major cities (including Tokyo) and I've seen a total of TWO electric cars and absolutely no charging points whatsoever (I have even been to look at four filling station forecourts within half a mile of our latest hotel).

Today, my wife's sister and her husband collected us for lunch (both are Japanese). My brother - in - law has just bought a new car, as he plans to retire from work next year. It is a petrol Hyundai.

I asked whether he had considered electric, to which he looked amazed! As he said, there are no facilities at all for them, and almost all new cars sold are petrol powered, with a very few hybrids in the mix. I then asked about any plans to ban non - electric vehicles from the new car market and was told that the government had made some announcement about looking at things from the mid 2030's, however there were no further details as yet.

Incidentally, his new car has a factory fit TV in the dash panel, available for the driver to view, however it turns to sound only when the vehicle is moving, though displays pictures when stationary in traffic.

We have seen no speed cameras here at all (as usual from previous visits) and, with 21 hotel nights booked so far have not been asked to guarantee anything by credit card or other means, they simply want to know when you will arrive and when you will leave. Most of our hotels are international chains, booked locally over the internet from within Japan.

It all reminds me of how simple and pleasant life was in the U.K. only a few years ago!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »
Just bought at a new Honda Jazz Hybrid .. being delivered on Monday, after a VW transporter wrote my wife Cathy's Yaris off  a few weeks back in a massive rear end shunt, when she stopped to let a man & child cross the road.
Evidently the Jazz has only one gear and no CVT belt etc . Will see how it pans out.

People where I work have Tesla/Jaguar iPace/Hyundai EV's. Not particularly impressed with any of them as when they travel any large distance seem to opt for using their respective partners conventional cars. .... the dash on the Tesla has some interior cappings that look like they have been finished in 1960's wood-effect 'Fablon'.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2023, 11:37:32 AM »
I was out in Montenegro and did not see one electric car or any charging points and you would think that with the county being so small it would be ideal. Most of the fuel stations are Chinese owned.

Last year on the hottest day i was driving back from Barmouth and started noticing electric cars on the sides of the road. 3 between Barmouth and Welshpool, then 4 between Welshpool and Shrewsbury. Pulled in to a layby the other side of Shrewsbury for a rest and noticed a RAC van charging up a car. Had a quick chat with the RAC man and asked, why is there so many electric cars at the side of the road. He replied, because they have the air con on full and that is supping the batteries until they run out.   

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »
Just bought at a new Honda Jazz Hybrid .. being delivered on Monday, after a VW transporter wrote my wife Cathy's Yaris off  a few weeks back in a massive rear end shunt, when she stopped to let a man & child cross the road.
Evidently the Jazz has only one gear and no CVT belt etc . Will see how it pans out.

People where I work have Tesla/Jaguar iPace/Hyundai EV's. Not particularly impressed with any of them as when they travel any large distance seem to opt for using their respective partners conventional cars. .... the dash on the Tesla has some interior cappings that look like they have been finished in 1960's wood-effect 'Fablon'.

The old Daf cars had only one gear and was on a CVT system  ???

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2023, 11:58:06 AM »
As has been said many times before, the proposed widespread use of EVs is a sham and many 'converts' are already changing back to IC engines.  If Gov UK were actually serious about this 'greening' they would tax aviation fuel (zero at the moment). EVs make SOME sense here in Orkney, the biggest round trip we can do from the north west corner would be about 100 miles but what if we want to visit friends and relatives in Yorks/Lancs?
Our Council has just announced a scrappage scheme for older vehicles, whereby they will give you £3k for your old vehicle.  Crazy thing is, you have to be on a means tested benefit to qualify.  So you DON'T HAVE the extra funds to buy an EV!!  Not sure if the intention is that they might get the £3k and use public transport to rid the Islands of a few cars?
It will probably end up like it started - personal transport other than a bicycle (possibly electric) will only be for the elite few.

3 rants used up again today and it's not lunchtime yet!

Ian

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2023, 12:04:01 PM »
I was in Central London last week (Regents Street etc) and two out of every three cars was electric. Even the taxis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2023, 12:08:23 PM »

The old Daf cars had only one gear and was on a CVT system  ???

Yea I know ...the company I worked for in the late 1970's  had one as a test rig, as we made the belts for them 'Variomatic'  BUT, as I said, no belt in the Honda but the equivalent  Toyota Hybrid  (Yaris) still has a CVT metal belt transmission system.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2023, 12:11:35 PM »
massive rear end shunt

I think that's what I'd have called the other driver too if they ploughed into the back of me  ;D

It's bloody annoying the amount of people driving around often doing something else instead of looking where they are going.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »

So is the gearbox a dual clutch automatic or fully manual ?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
I was in Central London last week (Regents Street etc) and two out of every three cars was electric. Even the taxis.

I think the London centirc view is quite distorted, particularly about localised emissions etc, they really don't give a stuff about anyone else, or if it's in any way sustainable in regard to overall life emissions of electric vehicle impact on World conditions, or where the power comes from either.  They shouldn't be allowed to dictate national policy.

Speaking with a taxi driver friend this week.... £86,0000 to get a "lev c" electric cab, they have a petrol donkey motor in those too to extend range as they can't fit enough battery in with payload etc.

The Utopian voice choir is very loud though.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2023, 12:24:50 PM »
And yet all new taxis are electric in London. I don’t see a collapse in numbers.

ULEZ coming to a city near you soon.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2023, 12:26:31 PM »

So is the gearbox a dual clutch automatic or fully manual ?

Mostly petrol generator Ted, but with ability to use a conventional traction clutch to connect "generator" unit to wheels at higher speed, likely a 1:1 ratio.
In effect, primarily electric with power reserves at sufficient level, plus generator, plus petrol assist on longer journey.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/honda/jazz-hybrid/

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
And yet all new taxis are electric in London. I don’t see a collapse in numbers.

ULEZ coming to a city near you soon.

Apparently licensed "black" cab numbers were 25,000 plus over many years, expected to be 15,000 this year. They too are being eaten by Prius and the big oooo-ber.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Why electric? All the things they could do with existing technology ie. maximum car size, maximum car weight, must do 50mpg on the urban cycle, maximum rolling resistance (stops cars like BMW X6's huge tyres) etc etc etc. They could introduce these type of things right now, but not a thing has or will be done. The average miles per gallon today is less than it was in the 60's due in main to the size of the cars. No political will to actually do anything but come up with laws to keep the economy growing. Bottom line, looks good for them and they can sell you something. Green, don't make me laugh.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal