Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5132 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
Just bought at a new Honda Jazz Hybrid .. being delivered on Monday, after a VW transporter wrote my wife Cathy's Yaris off  a few weeks back in a massive rear end shunt, when she stopped to let a man & child cross the road.
Evidently the Jazz has only one gear and no CVT belt etc . Will see how it pans out.

People where I work have Tesla/Jaguar iPace/Hyundai EV's. Not particularly impressed with any of them as when they travel any large distance seem to opt for using their respective partners conventional cars. .... the dash on the Tesla has some interior cappings that look like they have been finished in 1960's wood-effect 'Fablon'.

So is the gearbox a dual clutch automatic or fully manual ?

Mostly petrol generator Ted, but with ability to use a conventional traction clutch to connect "generator" unit to wheels at higher speed, likely a 1:1 ratio.
In effect, primarily electric with power reserves at sufficient level, plus generator, plus petrol assist on longer journey.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/honda/jazz-hybrid/

So it is a sort of Series Hybrid rather than a Parallel Hybrid if I can get my hear around the concept - how economical is it no figures in the article?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 01:17:44 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »
Why electric? All the things they could do with existing technology ie. maximum car size, maximum car weight, must do 50mpg on the urban cycle, maximum rolling resistance (stops cars like BMW X6's huge tyres) etc etc etc. They could introduce these type of things right now, but not a thing has or will be done. The average miles per gallon today is less than it was in the 60's due in main to the size of the cars. No political will to actually do anything but come up with laws to keep the economy growing. Bottom line, looks good for them and they can sell you something. Green, don't make me laugh.

A good point Roy, something that Pat Symonds in F1 technical said "the aim/desire/target should be specified and not the method" broadly speaking.
Succesive regulation has given us the method, which then looks out of date, stating what the goal is will then accumulate the best thinking etc to achieve that.

The cityscape emissions thinking looks at their own concerns regarding air quality, they don't include power generation etc in their public facing proposals.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2023, 01:34:53 PM »
Just bought at a new Honda Jazz Hybrid .. being delivered on Monday, after a VW transporter wrote my wife Cathy's Yaris off  a few weeks back in a massive rear end shunt, when she stopped to let a man & child cross the road.
Evidently the Jazz has only one gear and no CVT belt etc . Will see how it pans out.

People where I work have Tesla/Jaguar iPace/Hyundai EV's. Not particularly impressed with any of them as when they travel any large distance seem to opt for using their respective partners conventional cars. .... the dash on the Tesla has some interior cappings that look like they have been finished in 1960's wood-effect 'Fablon'.

Mostly petrol generator Ted, but with ability to use a conventional traction clutch to connect "generator" unit to wheels at higher speed, likely a 1:1 ratio.
In effect, primarily electric with power reserves at sufficient level, plus generator, plus petrol assist on longer journey.

So it is a sort of Series Hybrid rather than a Parallel Hybrid if I can get my hear around the concept - how economical is it no figures in the article?

Yes it seems to be principally electric as first choice, but battery capacity is clearly going to dictate actions from then onward and dependant on user profile.  Their dedicated E car has relatively modest battery and range around 120 miles as determined by them that a city transport vehicle has best balance of attributes (payload, weight etc) at that specification. Fit for constricted use profile in other words.

No idea of fuel consumption reality.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2023, 02:50:33 PM »

Yes it seems to be principally electric as first choice, but battery capacity is clearly going to dictate actions from then onward and dependant on user profile.  Their dedicated E car has relatively modest battery and range around 120 miles as determined by them that a city transport vehicle has best balance of attributes (payload, weight etc) at that specification. Fit for constricted use profile in other words.

No idea of fuel consumption reality.

I believe (hope that it's in the high 50's) One neighbour and ex-neighbour both have the X-Star version (same engine and drive) and it is reputedly a little bit less economical and they quote 56 and the other 60. As I said though ..we will see how it pans out. A small EV would deffo be a no-no for my wife, as she openly admits,  she would constantly be running flat and no way could any of them do a journey to see my daughter & family each week without a recharge mid journey.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2023, 03:02:43 PM »
A good friend of mine has a Toyota Auris Estate - Petrol self charging Hybrid it's always well over 50 mpg even including local runs.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2023, 05:57:00 PM »
And yet all new taxis are electric in London. I don’t see a collapse in numbers.

ULEZ coming to a city near you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure i read somewhere that they made a load of electric only black cabs and then the company told the mayor of London that they required 16,000 charging station just for black cabs, so it went back to the drawing board and they made hybrid taxi's. They can get away with calling them electric as, they are electric motor driven to the wheels but, have a 1500 cc petrol engine to charge the battery.

I read in a mag latterly that they have been told to only run with the electric  when they have a fare on board, and run on the petrol engine to charge up when, no fare is on board .

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2023, 06:08:01 PM »
A good friend of mine has a Toyota Auris Estate - Petrol self charging Hybrid it's always well over 50 mpg even including local runs.

These hybrid fuel figures are pretty crap. My 1.5 diesel Kadjar has just averaged 59.9 mpg over 480 miles including traffic holdups. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2023, 06:34:34 PM »
That's a lot better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel on a run to Chester & back I am delighted with 25 mpg.

However to put that into perspective I spent £1341.14 on diesel in my motor in 2022 up from £857.04 in 2021 so if I could find a SUV that did 50 mpg I would save around £675 in fuel costs.
Trouble is at the age of 75 with a vehicle worth £1500 ish in part exchange how much would I need to spend to actually save any money within my likely life span?

I currently fancy a Toyota Rav4 but would need to fork out £18k to get a decent one to last me - hence why I will run thew Jeep  until it fails another Mot might be next year might be the year after.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2023, 06:42:31 PM »
My 2.2 Twin Turboed Diesel Mazda 3 returns 50-60mpg most times, even in traffic it doesn't go below 45mpg and costs £20 a year to tax. Bugger that for part exing for an electric car. Mate of mine had a breakdown and had to hire an electric car to go to Scotland to visit relatives, took him 11 hours to get them because they had to stop and recharge so often. Not a fan.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2023, 07:24:07 PM »
ULEZ still coming.

Hybrids or not.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2023, 07:30:35 PM »
ULEZ still coming.

Hybrids or not.

I never drive into London or any other City if it ULEZ I'd soon go 100 % online and pay carriage.
Just hope my Gas boiler out lives me

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2023, 07:31:37 PM »
ULEZ still coming.

Hybrids or not.

Sadly I don't even know what that means Steve
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2023, 07:41:10 PM »
If the Tories want to disown Boris then he should form a new political party called the keep Gas Boilers & ICE party or GBICE.
I'd vote for him what will the world do about a country that contributes a whopping 1% of the world pollution. 🍺🍺🍺

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2023, 07:48:08 PM »
My 2.2 Twin Turboed Diesel Mazda 3 returns 50-60mpg most times, even in traffic it doesn't go below 45mpg and costs £20 a year to tax. Bugger that for part exing for an electric car. Mate of mine had a breakdown and had to hire an electric car to go to Scotland to visit relatives, took him 11 hours to get them because they had to stop and recharge so often. Not a fan.
Any car that runs on diesel not an option Ken as wife is acute asthmatic and wont' have a diesel at any cost .. modern diesels probably a lot better but as she says ..you could shell out tons  of money on one only to find that driving it makes you ill Simply not worth the risk.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2023, 08:44:03 PM »
Test drive Ash?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal