Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Doubts about EVs
« on: April 11, 2023, 03:32:43 AM »
What to think? I got this answer to a question of mine EV verses ICE of Quora ..
Yes, BEVs have been around for over 120 years, technology or innovation has squashed the resurgence of BEVs in the past so there is no reason why a better technology, such as hydrogen, could not eliminate these again. But their future failure will have nothing to do with their weight, the failure will be because having millions of batteries in our world will make people realize that the mining, building and disposing of these chemical and toxic concoctions make BEVs no better for the environment than fossil-fuelled cars.
Battery power is a fad, a selfish choice for the BEV converts, there is no benefit to the environment to have battery-powered cars as these pollute almost as much as petrol cars, all they do is shift the pollution elsewhere, in addition to being a polluting chemical concoction, batteries are also toxic, inefficient and heavy. There is no efficiency in propelling a 2,000kg car nor is it an efficient use of energy when battery power wastes up to 40% of the input energy, in fact, battery power is not a solution to anything at all. Ironically the BEV fad might create the need to build nuclear power stations, if this happens, it will hasten the end of the BEV fad because nuclear stations can be the source of endless green hydrogen to power H2 ICE vehicles. The heat generated by a reactor can make hydrogen before the same heat is used to make electricity. Thermochemical water-splitting processes use high-temperature (500°–2,000°C) to drive a series of chemical reactions that produce hydrogen. The chemicals used in the process are reused creating a closed loop that consumes only water, and produces no pollutants while producing unlimited green hydrogen and oxygen.
Large Battery Electric Vehicles as a replacement of fossil fuels vehicles are the Worst Transportation System ever developed, responsible for causing excess Man-Made Destruction (such as forests in Germany, wilderness in Alaska) and Pollution on Planet Earth…. up-front polluting and water wasting to mine & manufacture, they create a fire danger in your home, are polluting & dangerous to charge, polluting, dangerous & Toxic to dispose of, then, energy-wasting in charging, energy-hungry to propel its 2,000Kg weight and enslave the driver to its charging schedules on top of everything. If the world is serious about reducing pollution and stemming global warming then it should not substitute fossil-fuel burning for batteries that are not much better.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 06:59:53 AM »
That’s one view I guess.

My wife is called BEV. She’s not been around for 120 years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 07:06:46 AM »
All very well known issues. Nothing new in that report. As for Hydrogen, forget it. We cant even provide a few battery chargers, what's the chances of installing a Hydrogen network. ZERO.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:57:27 AM »
Watched an interesting lecture (well I thought it was  ;D) by Pat Symonds on F1 powerplant and how they get such efficiency from that engine combination.

One of the points he made is that legislation is now, mostly dictating the "method" and not the "outcome" in vehicle transportation.

Effectively telling everyone to go electric simply stifling innovation that may result in a combined solution via other method. Its a very blunt instrument for transport future. 

The primary limit with mobile electricity storage is that of energy density being atrocious in comparison to liquid fuels. It brings just as many problems as politicians and green washers seem to think it solves. Its often given that the mythical "tech" will solve this element, but more of an illusion in reality, butting it's head against the reality of pure physics.

The current F1 power units are approximately 53% efficient, although complex in design. Their path forward is synthetic fuels to move away from fossil stock.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »
My simplistic view is that labeling an EV as Zero Emissions is being in denial that you have just moved the exhaust pipe from vehicle to power generator. No account is taken of environmental impact of battery production. If all our electricity was generated from Hydro, Wind & Solar fair enough.
As for nuclear the contaminated cooling water from the Fukushima Daiichi disaster is estimated to take approximately 20- 30 or more years to process. The water is being  dumped into the ocean as the level of contaminants including Tritium & other radionuclides is at background levels when diluted with sea water.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 10:21:30 AM »
Even the EU are now realising the folly of electric vehicles and looking at synthetic fuels for ICE vehicles. Our classic bikes will live for ever!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 10:54:43 AM »
Even the EU are now realising the folly of electric vehicles and looking at synthetic fuels for ICE vehicles. Our classic bikes will live for ever!
I hope so. Sadiq Khan certainly wants us to be the last. ::)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »
Been saying it for a long time now, EVs are a dead end and a huge con that will cost lots of people lots of money. You won't be able to give them away in the future.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »
Good god…just like petrol cars😁

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 02:02:44 PM »

That supposes they can't make petrol cars run on alternative fuels, which they could well do.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 02:24:11 PM »

That supposes they can't make petrol cars run on alternative fuels, which they could well do.

That's the thinking in research "drop in" compatability with advancing knowledge within ICE architecture.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 03:39:38 PM »
EV's it's like HMG pushing us into diesel engines a couple of decades ago only on a much bigger scale.

Heat Pumps - another nightmare for the future when they ban gas boilers.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 05:15:33 PM »
EV's it's like HMG pushing us into diesel engines a couple of decades ago only on a much bigger scale.

I was thinking of installing a heat pump to run my storage radiators, no gas in my house at all.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 05:44:54 PM »

I was thinking of installing a heat pump to run my storage radiators, no gas in my house at all.

Heat pumps work really well in the summer - in the winter when the temperature drops below a certain level (20 to 40 F)you are effectively heating with electricity so not cheap to run unless you have your own solar power & battery storage. They cannot heat normal hot water either. You need really good insulation - something like the equivalent of 6" of Kingspan on all your internal walls plus triple glazing. A porch at the main entry & exit is also handy so you enter effectively via an air lock system - otherwise leaving your front door open for 5 minutes in the winter will take several hours for the temperature to return to pre-door opening levels due to the low temperature gradient between radiators & room.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 05:57:02 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 05:55:24 PM »
That's partially true of air source heat pumps but not ground source.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal