Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5034 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 05:58:49 PM »
That's partially true of air source heat pumps but not ground source.

True but most housing in England do not have a garden big enough for ground source plus you might find your garden is still frozen in spring.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 06:04:44 PM »
I have a cousin and a very good friend.
Cousin in Scotland in old terraced house, friend in new built passive house.
Both have air source heat pumps
Both survived winter and were able to have showers with water provided by the heat pump.
The friend in the passive house has energy bills of about 59p per day in the winter.

Petrol head forum puts boot into EV and alt technology shocker! I’m

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 06:09:45 PM »
Im a luddite, the desktop runs Windows XP and the laptop 7 as for this damned dumfone, nuff said.
We run a hybrid but with family at opposite ends of the country that will be as good as i get!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 06:23:07 PM »
Yeah the one I got details on was ground source, my front garden is fairly large, my back garden is reasonably sized, faces South as well so doesn't get that frozen as it gets sun on it whenever it shines.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 06:35:14 PM »
I have a cousin and a very good friend.
Cousin in Scotland in old terraced house, friend in new built passive house.
Both have air source heat pumps
Both survived winter and were able to have showers with water provided by the heat pump.
The friend in the passive house has energy bills of about 59p per day in the winter.

Petrol head forum puts boot into EV and alt technology shocker! I’m

I can see benefits in different system as comparison,  but this one is about insulation, solely.

We've certainly a truly shocking record in domestic housing for insulation in the UK, that'll always compromise energy usage whatever the scource. And certainly not reflecting technical performance new or old type heating method.

We stayed, in winter, with a French family in an old farm building suitably renovated with very significant insulation, plus old wooden shutters to close after dark, leaving a huge still air void in the gap.
Exemplary energy performance, owner was telling me about it as he consulted in this field. Was heated by a ground scource system but in a vertical drilling down in the hundreds of meters, located on granite which he said was particularly suitable. 
A very impressive performance,  but no real technology used, just a common sense approach.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 07:20:49 PM »
Our house was built in 1968 it's termed a Dorma style House as the upstairs bedrooms have sloped ceilings that follow the steep angle of the roof. There was very little rafter insulation - just a thin layer of fiber board - I had insulated the loft rafters with Kingspan type insulation. Our modern condensing boiler was new in 2016.- we retained a hot water tank - I think it's known as a fully pumped system. No mains pressure radiators or hot water by choice.

Following our house fire in November 2017 it was rebuilt to comply with the building control regulations that applied in 2018 so we gained 50 mm Kingspan to the full length of the rafters plus an extra 50 mm Kingspan with attached plaster board to the bedroom walls. Slight downside was we lost about 4 inches off the bedroom widths plus some loss of height on the sloping roof - no biggie as the bedrooms are a good size.

Due to this insulated dome effect our bedrooms are very warm in the summer with a huge ceiling fan a must. In the winter all upstairs radiators are off - even without any upstairs heating its generally 72-78 F. Due to my heart condition I prefer the downstairs rooms to be a minimum of 74 F - I wear three layers of upper clothing to be comfortable.

We will never move from our current home. I have neither the funds nor the inclination to go for any sort of heat pump as there would be no economic return to make it viable. Likewise an all EV is just a joke for most older folk   imho. 

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Doubts about EVs
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 07:45:32 PM »
One thing for sure electric plane way off so all those piston engine aircraft will be running on  avigas for many years to come so just need to fill up at your local flying club instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 08:17:34 PM »

The Zero Avia did their first Hydrogen powered fight earlier this year at Cotswold Airport.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2023, 06:43:33 PM »
It's all a sham  They know that population density is the problem and they can't deal with that. The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime and they all want transport, feeding, and an ever better standard of living. Genocide anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2023, 08:41:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/S1E8SQde5rk

Worth a few minutes.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2023, 09:57:07 PM »
Yes I've watched that before possibly from a previous link here.

About 65 odd years ago when most of us had coal fires and trains were steam driven I remember the smog. Acid rain was named the cause of all sorts of environmental disasters. Then it was CFC's burning a hole in the ozone layer - now it's Diesel & Petrol cars.

In 25 years time when we have moved to heat pumps I suspect it will be the leaking refrigerants to blame. How much natural atmospheric pollution do volcanoes produce I wonder, not to mention all the munitions being exploded in various countries around the world.

The funniest bit is when they blame Cow farts for the excess methane gas - us  humans seem reluctant to accept that sometimes the answer is outside our current level of understanding.
I blame Beelzebub if that helps.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2023, 07:10:39 PM »
I'm afraid that the sale of Avgas to anything other than aircraft was banned a good few years ago - at one time there were quite a few race bikes running on fuel supplied by the local airfield. Now however, it has all ended - I believe because the rate of fuel duty is/was different.

In addition, Avgas still contains lead, so not much good for anything with a catalytic convertor fitted.

In general, piston - engine aircraft do not use motor fuel due to risks of vapour lock through ethanol, I understand. In some cases it was deemed possible to use motor fuel, however it involved restrictions on altitude (maximum of 5,000' from memory), measuring fuel temperature before flight and more.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 02:23:31 PM »
Mogas, as they call it is used in a lot of microlight and ultralight aircraft if approved for their engines.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 03:24:30 PM »
Mogas has normally been approved for aircraft types below Groups A or B. I understand it is due to the lower expected operating altitudes and reduced climb performance.

Having never operated anything other Group A or B (single and multi - engine landplanes) I don't know whether the additional restrictions that affect Group A are applicable to other categories, or not.

In all likelihood, it also takes account of the fact that runway requirements for ultralights and microlights are minimal, therefore as with a glider there are numerous safe landing areas that larger, heavier aircraft could not use without serious damage and/or injury to occupants.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 05:38:05 PM »
It's all a sham  They know that population density is the problem and they can't deal with that. The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime and they all want transport, feeding, and an ever better standard of living. Genocide anyone.
Precious little to do with global warming.... we are in the last third of a receding ice age, of course we'll get cosier!
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal