Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2023, 04:23:38 PM »
True story………

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2023, 04:37:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
Just get Bairstow to shift them, wouldn't take him long.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2023, 10:31:15 AM »
Apparently they are about to dig up 70 billion tons of Norway for phosphorus rock for electric car battery production. Well I hope all the diggers and mining equipment are battery powered. What utter bullshit, the world's gone mad.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2023, 10:52:17 AM »
Apparently they are about to dig up 70 billion tons of Norway for phosphorus rock for electric car battery production. Well I hope all the diggers and mining equipment are battery powered. What utter bullshit, the world's gone mad.

Read somewhere that there is some more essential raw materials in Cornwall for manufacuring batteries - a return to mining eh the holiday home owners will love that if it's opencast !
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2023, 03:59:20 PM »
Hope I can get a ticket to watch that steam roller record attempt Roo - I don't mind being held up in traffic while that takes place! Pity it's only 100 of the idiots.

Thatcham have just issued an analysis of recent insurance claims and guess what?  EV's are 25.5% more costly to repair and take 14% longer - IF they can be repaired at all as many have battery damage which usually writes them off.

Glad I'm old!

Ian

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2023, 05:36:22 PM »

Lol. We only burnt circa 4.2 billion tons of oil in 2021. At least the contents of the batteries can be recycled.

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
"Read somewhere that there is some more essential raw materials in Cornwall for manufacuring batteries - a return to mining eh the holiday home owners will love that if it's opencast !"

They are planning to extract via "Lithium Brine" so no open cast mining and second home owners can rest assured.

"The environmental impacts depend on the extraction methods used. Cornish Lithium are planning to directly extract the lithium from the fluids in a processing unit that will have a footprint the size of a supermarket or medium sized industrial unit. Direct extraction of lithium from geothermal fluids using cutting-edge technology is the most environmentally responsible method available, and Cornish Lithium will strive to ensure that the impacts of the project are kept to a minimum"

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2023, 10:29:48 AM »
"Apparently they are about to dig up 70 billion tons of Norway for phosphorus rock for electric car battery production. Well I hope all the diggers and mining equipment are battery powered. What utter bullshit, the world's gone mad."

This is actually a good news story as previous to this discovery there was a critical global phosphorus shortage which is used in solar panels and electronics as well as batteries.
The 70 billion tons quoted will last for 100 years so its not happening overnight.
I'm sure Norway will do it in as green a fashion as possible as they have loads of money and are a very green nation generally.

For a bit of perspective globally we dig up 3 billion tons of metal ores every year, so in a century thats 300 billion.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2023, 10:36:14 AM »
I should make it clear that I am not a climate change skeptic, far from it. I strongly believe that electric vehicles are not the way forward and the rush to adopt them is ruling out all other more sensible options. I have already stated what they are in an earlier post, all could be done right now but non are being adopted. I firmly believe that the electric thing is to simply sell you something to boost the economy.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »
Just to be clear my position is that there are a number of competing technologies and we don’t know which one will win yet.
I don’t know any more than the next person that EVs are THE solution but they are a solution that works for now.
There are huge challenges to the whole question of energy supply going forward, infrastructure, generation etc but anything that makes it possible for us to burn less stuff and makes the UK as a country less dependent on other countries gets my vote.

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2023, 11:47:19 AM »
If the very best IC engines are only 53% efficient after over 100 year of development that’s not great.
They have to be heated up before starting or they will seize and only run for a few hundred miles before having to be rebuilt.
If fuelled by hydrogen or other green hydrocarbons they will still pollute as they produce nitrous oxides during combustion.
This can be reduced but not eliminated by catalysts but they use up precious metals that are in short supply.
Every solution has issues, the jury is out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 11:49:23 AM by Multiman »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2023, 04:31:19 PM »
They've started testing Hydrogen instead of natural gas in some towns, from what I've read the only produce water when burnt.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2023, 04:40:48 PM »
Unfortunately if you burn hydrogen in the presence of nitrogen (our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen) it produces nitrous oxides.
It is much cleaner than burning hydrocarbons though.
If you react hydrogen in a fuel cell there is just water as a byproduct and you generate electricity.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2023, 06:32:11 PM »
'They have to be heated up before starting or they will seize and only run for a few hundred miles before having to be rebuilt.'
I don't get it. What do we do to heat our engine before we turn that key or stand on that kick start? 
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal