Author Topic: Some Minor Issues to Sort  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Some Minor Issues to Sort
« on: April 11, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »
I've hopefully got the carbs where they need to be, for the moment!

Rather than add to that topic, I thought a new one is in order!

I have some miscellaneous other minor issues to have a crack at and any words of wisom are very welcome:
- Neutral switch needs checking, remains dimly lit when in gear;
- I have a strange tramping sensation through the bars on some roads at speeds over 30mph. I'm hoping it is wheel balancing, as the red dot is not right on the tyre valve, and there is a 20g wheel weight close to the valve, which isn't where I'd expect it? However it may be front suspension. Standing, front brake on and pumping the bars, it moves up and down and seems damped, but is stiff. Will check which fork oil it has in there. What grade is recommended for a compliant ride?
- Difficult to find neutral, easy when rolling to a stop, but not when stationary;
- May be related; the clutch bite seems quite late in the lever outwards movement, but no clutch slip is evident when i open the throttle. Is this usual?

👍

« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 05:29:22 PM by Martin6 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Some Minor Issues to Sort
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 06:05:36 PM »
Front forks are not normaly "stiff" Honda originaly used engine oil but later used ATF.
Lot of debate about the dot on tyres but personaly seen them all over the place with no effect, could need wheel truing or balancing, Honda tolerance for true is 3mm side to side and vertically(mot says 4mm) Sounds like neutral switch is failing and the clutch needs adjusting as per manual.
The full Honda workshop manual is on this site for download either in alladins cave or Ashs dropbox

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 06:50:25 PM »
With regards to neutral switch - it can be also some unwanted connection of neutral switch wire to frame (ground). To check that disconnect wire from neutral switch, if control light is still on, look for wire issues, if not it is switch itself.
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 06:59:06 PM »
Thanks Bryan.

Yes, if the high bite point is not normal, I'll look to adjust the clutch. I have the downloaded manual and have the Haynes (not too impressed with the Haynes though).

I'll also be changing the front tyre, which will be a good time to check how true the wheel is. 3mm seems quite a lot. Looks like the forks may be the problem if they're not usually stiff. Mine are definitely stiff. The previous owner replaced one stanchion, the left, as it was bent. So I'm now suspicious of the right hand one. I'll check that with the wheel off.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:14:07 PM »
When checking the wheel for true make sure you can easily see where the weld is as you will always get a "kick" in the rim at that point and drive yourself crazy trying to remove it.
You can easily get them closer than 3mm, that only the max allowed

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 07:26:46 PM »
I might be way out here but when I had a tramping sensation on my Suzuki 750 GS it was the chain & chain wheels causing the issue. To many wheelies by previous owner.

I could not afford to replace the sprockets & chain so I fitted a new chain only & cured it.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 08:25:49 PM »
I might be way out here but when I had a tramping sensation on my Suzuki 750 GS it was the chain & chain wheels causing the issue. To many wheelies by previous owner.

I could not afford to replace the sprockets & chain so I fitted a new chain only & cured it.
Ted, was that felt through the handlebars?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:02 PM »
I'm going back 40 odd years but yes it was a really odd sensation like a thrumming that was felt up the frame into the handle bars. It was speed sensitive worst at 50 mph.

I didn't know a much about bikes back then - no internet - but a fellow biker said it sounded like a stretched chain causing the issue.

Checking wheel balance and alignment might be a better starting point.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 10:18:47 PM »
Just a thought but how old are your tyres? Sounds front end related snd agree with Ted but if your tyre’s old they do deform and can produce a similar sensation.

When Maxxis first came out the fitments for the VFR’s and other touring bikes had an intermittent vibration that only manifested itself at a certain speed which turned out to be a mismould and all were recalled .
Check your balance is cool and wheel bearings. Any point of contact really, you’ll find the issue
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 10:46:43 PM »
You get tyre flat spots on cars that are only used in the summer so has it been stood for ages. I use some cheap wheels to stand the SL on over the winter. It takes a good 40 miles at 50 mph to spin out the flat spots otherwise

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 10:49:56 PM »
Could be.
Rear is new. Avon RR. I rebuilt that wheel, but checked it again today and all seems true.
Front is about 100 miles old, but has been on 4 years, i could have a flatspot from standing.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 07:41:18 AM »
Aren't the dots normally the heavy point on the tyre and usually 180 deg from the valve ?
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 08:35:15 AM »
Standing, front brake on and pumping the bars, it moves up and down and seems damped, but is stiff. Will check which fork oil it has in there. What grade is recommended for a compliant ride?

- May be related; the clutch bite seems quite late in the lever outwards movement, but no clutch slip is evident when i open the throttle. Is this usual?

👍

Fork oil, many go too heavy with this in my experience, partly promoting some level of hydraulic "locking" in response to pattering Road surface. Effectively tge fork doesn't want to move at the linear rate the road irregularities are kicking the suspension up at and causing a little "bucking" feel to come through the front end.

Reality check though, is to assess current level of existing oil, too high will give less fork response than design intention.

Try using Motul 2.5 grade viscosity fork oil at correct level /quantity to see if it's effective in getting the response you want. It's a very good oil anyway and won't give problem, but some may prefer 5 viscosity.

Healthy clutch engagement is ok fairly far out as it makes sure the clutch fully disengages and promotes no clunk when going to first gear when stationery.
If the clutch is used hard on these,  heating up the clutch pack moves the lift mech thrust away from the operating mech, and you'll feel the bite point move in toward the bars in this case. You do have to get them pretty hot to see that, but it doesn't usually make it slip with this arrangement.

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »
Aren't the dots normally the heavy point on the tyre and usually 180 deg from the valve ?
Yellow dots, if you have them, are the lightest point on the tyre. To be mounted where the valve is. Red dots signify the flattest point of the tyre. I don't know why, but I always mount them where the valve is, perhaps on the assumption 'flat' = lighter. The odd thing is my front also had a 20g weight at the valve area.

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Standing, front brake on and pumping the bars, it moves up and down and seems damped, but is stiff. Will check which fork oil it has in there. What grade is recommended for a compliant ride?

👍

Fork oil, many go too heavy with this in my experience, partly promoting some level of hydraulic "locking" in response to pattering Road surface. Effectively tge fork doesn't want to move at the linear rate the road irregularities are kicking the suspension up at and causing a little "bucking" feel to come through the front end.

Reality check though, is to assess current level of existing oil, too high will give less fork response than design intention.

Try using Motul 2.5 grade viscosity fork oil at correct level /quantity to see if it's effective in getting the response you want. It's a very good oil anyway and won't give problem, but some may prefer 5 viscosity.

Healthy clutch engagement is ok fairly far out as it makes sure the clutch fully disengages and promotes no clunk when going to first gear when stationery.
If the clutch is used hard on these,  heating up the clutch pack moves the lift mech thrust away from the operating mech, and you'll feel the bite point move in toward the bars in this case. You do have to get them pretty hot to see that, but it doesn't usually make it slip with this arrangement.
👍

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal