Author Topic: Double Take .... its got a WHAT?  (Read 609 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Double Take .... its got a WHAT?
« on: April 26, 2023, 07:14:35 PM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275817767179

Idly mooching through E-Bay on my lunch break, looking for those bits I just can;t seem to find, and got distracted looking at whats cheap and I ran across this....
did a double take .... spent the rest of my lunch wondering WHY!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Double Take .... its got a WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
I saw that with exactly the same reaction😳🤔🙄
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 08:13:22 AM »
70's automatic gearbox and a turbo, does that mean double lag before anything happens?

It's really cool - I want it!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:32:24 AM »
Certainly interesting  :)

Unusually I don't think it's far off being in the right direction though, high torque at not too high rpm is pretty good through a torque converter auto.

MB on one of his American car resto programme bought a big block veee-hicle with two speed auto. When questioning the owner "only two speed? " to which the reply was "that's fast and faster"  ;D amused me.

On this one, use a tiny modern turbo from something like an eco boost Ford 1 litre, straight onto exhaust close to ports, huffed through air to air intercooler to keep charge temp in range, then it'll probably fly and no problem the transmission handling it.

Unusual for a 750, think you can get the head off in the frame on those too.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 08:38:33 AM »
Looks like a set of Lester wheels too, and incorporated drum brake rear plus twin disc front installed,  Ken's favourite wheels  ;D

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 02:19:50 PM »
Says it’s a non runner……………..yer think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
Looks like a set of Lester wheels too, and incorporated drum brake rear plus twin disc front installed,  Ken's favourite wheels  ;D

Good spot, missed those, Mark1 Lesters, the Mark2 had a different groove cut into the outer rim. Yep, my favourite wheels.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 05:01:33 PM »
You're slacking Ken. Even I saw them🙄
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 05:16:42 PM »
I was more interested in the turbo TBH Tim, seen a few done like that, rode a GS1000 with one on, just testing it to see if it was worth taking it in part ex. Pulling a wheelie at a ton when the turbo kicked in was interesting  ;D ;D

Also had a CBX1000, one of the first imported into the UK, he'd taken it down to Dixon Racing and had a turbo bolted on, on the way back up north it blew the head clean off the studs, snapped them all. Put a lovely big dent into the frame just above the engine, trashed the head and cams and I had to fix it. Took me a few weeks to do, lapping in 24 valves by hand was time consuming to say the least.

Odd thing about Lester wheels, some are marked as tubeless and some aren't. My front for example is, it even has the raised sections inside the profile of the rim for bead retention, the rear isn't marked and doesn't have the raised bead things. Bought them as a set in the late or mid 70s from Knott Mill Kawasaki in Manchester, name from the past for those who live nearby. I intend to fit tubeless tyres on both when I do buy tyres. If need be I'll have the raised section welded onto the rear inner rim, it's just 2 bumps after all.

And for those who are interested, the Mark1 Lester has a continuous groove in the outer rim, the Mark2 had them in dashes, about 5 inches long with about 2 inches between them. They went out of business before the Mark2 really started to sell, very rare to see any Mark2s.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 09:55:00 PM »
I was more interested in the turbo TBH Tim, seen a few done like that, rode a GS1000 with one on, just testing it to see if it was worth taking it in part ex. Pulling a wheelie at a ton when the turbo kicked in was interesting  ;D ;D

Also had a CBX1000, one of the first imported into the UK, he'd taken it down to Dixon Racing and had a turbo bolted on, on the way back up north it blew the head clean off the studs, snapped them all. Put a lovely big dent into the frame just above the engine, trashed the head and cams and I had to fix it. Took me a few weeks to do, lapping in 24 valves by hand was time consuming to say the least.

Odd thing about Lester wheels, some are marked as tubeless and some aren't. My front for example is, it even has the raised sections inside the profile of the rim for bead retention, the rear isn't marked and doesn't have the raised bead things. Bought them as a set in the late or mid 70s from Knott Mill Kawasaki in Manchester, name from the past for those who live nearby. I intend to fit tubeless tyres on both when I do buy tyres. If need be I'll have the raised section welded onto the rear inner rim, it's just 2 bumps after all.

And for those who are interested, the Mark1 Lester has a continuous groove in the outer rim, the Mark2 had them in dashes, about 5 inches long with about 2 inches between them. They went out of business before the Mark2 really started to sell, very rare to see any Mark2s.
That would have been an interesting ride up north on the CBX turbo!🥵🥵
Interesting about the wheels Ken. My own personal experience of later seventy’s bikes was I never really liked the move away from the spoked wheels. Only starting to warm to some of them now.😜
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 10:25:47 PM »
I hated spokes, they got dirty, they were hard to get clean, they rusted or even broke and the rims were harder to clean due to all the holes etc.

The Lesters were lighter, stronger and more rigid, the 500 always handled well but with Lesters on it handled even better.

Dixon told the owner of the CBX to limit the waste gate to 2lbs IIRC, of course he couldn't resist opening the gate up to around 5lbs, or so the story went. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 12:54:57 PM »
I get it Ken! I don’t need to go out when it’s mucky. Fair weather biker! Saves a lot of cleaning.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal