Author Topic: Head Bolts  (Read 4787 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Head Bolts
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2024, 06:51:11 PM »
Pressure in pounds per square inch is the weight measurement if you will. Forget about how much liquid there is in a tank or header.
My XJ900 petrol tank sprung pin hole leaks all along the bottom of the fuel tank due to standing over 10 winters or so. An Imperial gallon of water weighs 10 lbs an Imperial gallon of petrol weighs about 7.2 lbs so the heavier water sinks to the bottom.(I've looked it up).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 07:21:22 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2024, 07:05:33 PM »
You ever regret saying anything? I'm really starting to regret mentioning this subject now  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2024, 08:02:17 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2024, 09:04:31 PM »
For no real purpose I find it interesting, along with other's views as that is how we acquire knowledge or exhamine our own.

All discussions are good I feel.

I was idly wondering recently about tbe famous Pink Floyd album cover that is clearly of Refraction, when if you were to be generally hanging around the Dark side of the moon, then would probably be seeing Diffraction, which wouldn't look like that.

;D ;D ;D

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2024, 09:34:39 PM »
For no real purpose I find it interesting, along with other's views as that is how we acquire knowledge or exhamine our own.

I was idly wondering recently about tbe famous Pink Floyd album cover that is clearly of Refraction, when if you were to be generally hanging around the Dark side of the moon, then would probably be seeing Diffraction, which wouldn't look like that.

;D ;D ;D
Pa ha ha haa, love it.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2024, 10:54:02 PM »

Typically mc fuel pumps delivers 3psi.  Float valves are generally overcome at approx 4.5 / 5psi.  1ft head of water gives 0.433psi do the maths.
     One thing many don't think of is that in use float valves open very tiny amounts so the smallest of debris is likely to stay in the valve and never
     be flushed through unless the carb is drained or stripped and cleaned properly.
     Anyone wanting to check simply put a airline with a pressure reg on a upside down carb on the carb inlet and see at what point the valve leaks
     air when using leak detector spray.

Isn't that accumulated figure 0.433 psi going downward under sea level ? Usually at one atmosphere for each 10.06 mtrs (33ft) effectively the accumulation of the ocean above you.

In air, and by lifting 1 ltr, then its nothing like that surely.

I'd doubt much difference between a tank say at 20 ltr sitting just above the carbs, in comparison to 1 ltr at 6 ft higher.

No just as a column of water lift the tank 10 ft and you will have 0.433 psi X 10 = 4.33psi at the pipe end. Volume in the tank is irrelevant.

A quick Google
What is the pressure exerted by a 1 foot column of water equal to?
Using Water as a Guide for Determining Pressure – Math for ...
0.433 psi
The relationship between water, height and pressure is constant. If we were to take a column of water 1 foot high and use a pressure gauge at the bottom to measure the pressure it would read 0.433 psi. This is our constant when dealing with water and it remains consistent as we add more water.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 11:07:15 PM by Moorey »

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2024, 11:01:07 PM »

Typically mc fuel pumps delivers 3psi.  Float valves are generally overcome at approx 4.5 / 5psi.  1ft head of water gives 0.433psi do the maths.
     One thing many don't think of is that in use float valves open very tiny amounts so the smallest of debris is likely to stay in the valve and never
     Anyone wanting to check simply put a airline with a pressure reg on a upside down carb on the carb inlet and see at what point the valve leaks

Isn't that accumulated figure 0.433 psi going downward under sea level ? Usually at one atmosphere for each 10.06 mtrs (33ft) effectively the accumulation of the ocean above you.

I'd doubt much difference between a tank say at 20 ltr sitting just above the carbs, in comparison to 1 ltr at 6 ft higher.

The volume of petrol in either tank is not the issue here that would only alter the flow level if both tanks were of the same depth.

My previous sums were out by a factor of two as a 66 ft water tower would represent 2 Atmosphers about  60 psi not 30 psi - so a foot of water is around 0.9 psi the total volume of fuel in either the bike tank or the temporary one is irrelevant. So at 6 ft above the existing petrol tank of say 1-ft the pressure would rise from 0.9 psi with an increase of 6 x 0.9 = 5.4 making the total pressure at effectively 0.9 + 5.4 = 6.3 psi. This does not take into account the difference in density between water & petrol , all pressures are based on sea level.

Where do you get 0.9psi from for a column of water 1ft high.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2024, 02:29:16 AM »

The volume of petrol in either tank is not the issue here that would only alter the flow level if both tanks were of the same depth.

My previous sums were out by a factor of two as a 66 ft water tower would represent 2 Atmosphers about  60 psi not 30 psi - so a foot of water is around 0.9 psi the total volume of fuel in either the bike tank or the temporary one is irrelevant. So at 6 ft above the existing petrol tank of say 1-ft the pressure would rise from 0.9 psi with an increase of 6 x 0.9 = 5.4 making the total pressure at effectively 0.9 + 5.4 = 6.3 psi. This does not take into account the difference in density between water & petrol , all pressures are based on sea level.

Where do you get 0.9psi from for a column of water 1ft high.

Actually I am wrong it will be half that as 14.7 psi is equivalent to a water manometer 33 ft in height at sea level.

So 33 ft of water exerts a pressure of approx 14.7 psi, divide 14.7 psi by 33 gives you 14.7/33 = 0.44545 psi per 1 ft column of water.
As petrol weighs around 7.2 lbs per gallon as against water weighing 10 lbs per gallon a one foot column of petrol would exert less pressue it would be 7.2 divided by 10  multiplied by 0.44545 psi i.e 0.3207 psi.

So if a petrol tank has a height of 1 ft between the fuel tank level & the carbs that would be 0.3207 psi exerted by the petrol.
Increasing the height some extra 6 ft up in the rafters from the tank level would be an additional 6 x 0.3207 =1.9242 psi so a new total of 1.9242+0.3207= 2.2449 psi.

My revised figures are only accurate to a couple of decimal places this leads me to the conclusion that Ken, Bryan & others are right that is unlikely to make the float needle leak under such a relatively low pressure.

My warning about hanging the reservoir in the rafters is clearly a load of Gonads it is unlikely to cause a healthy float needle to weep.

Pleased you pulled me up on my maths.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2024, 02:34:34 AM »
Ted please don't for one second think we say bunkum just because it's you saying it, I've been thinking about that one for a good while now and realised it didn't fit with my experiences, a lot of what's out there on the web is pure rubbish, having a debate about it can be very helpful for solving whether it's good advice or just plain garbage. You won't be the first to repeat something they've read somewhere thinking it sounded true, you certainly won't be the last.

If nothing else it made people hone up on their maths skills.  ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2024, 02:44:10 AM »
For some dim reason Ken I doubled the approximation  of 15 psi to 30 psi thinking about gauge pressure & absolute pressure so bunkum applies - I have my Birch Twigs at the ready for some self-flagellation.

The reality of my twice revised figures now explains your decades of working experience to my complete satisfaction.

PS I've got a dose of Insomnia hence my posting at gone 2.00 am

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 02:47:24 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2024, 09:08:05 AM »
What, can't have this. Everyone's in agreement! Quick, someone start an oil thread... 👍

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2024, 10:30:44 AM »
What, can't have this. Everyone's in agreement! Quick, someone start an oil thread... 👍

Who's to say I've done yet.  I might want to throw Specific Gravity into the equation just to complicate matters. ;D

Anyone for ATF vs Fork Oil.   ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2024, 10:50:11 AM »
How about a match instead

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2024, 11:39:39 AM »

;D ;D ;D

I saw the Australian Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon at Nottingham Concert Hall a couple of years ago.
As well as all the period backdrops for Another Brick in the Wall etc the funiest part was at the interval when I looked at the Blue Rinse set audience - the average age must have been close to 75 yrs with almost no one under the age of say 30!
There were Zimmer frames at the end of most rows - great live concert & light show.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 03:24:10 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2024, 02:44:37 PM »
Seen em about 7 or 8 times, always as close to the real thing you’re going to get now. They’re bloody good though!

Always makes me chuckle when instead of the inflatable pig, the giant 35’ blow up kangaroo comes out at the end…… brilliant

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal