Author Topic: Is this master cylinder original or reproduction  (Read 994 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Is this master cylinder original or reproduction
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »
I think the answers to all your questions is yes except that the spring also helps to  seal the filter itself  on the engine casing at the other end to the bolt head.

This opening up of the valve for unfiltered flow is problematic if the oil is contaminated by debris which is the reason for the filter becoming blocked. Then the debris passes into the main bearing feed gallery and up into the  valve gear gallery which contains a tiny restrictor with a hole just a mm in diameter becoming easily blocked. This is what I found when I stripped my engine which had damaged rocker faces and not much oil visible through the tappet covers being sprayed around. This is why it is necessary not to put too much sealant when joining upper and lower cases which bulges out inside the casing, breaks off and clogs the filter. Perhaps 10 40w oil is a better precaution against a cold start opening the valve. Regular oil changes are essential not just nice to have.
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2023, 07:49:36 AM »
👍

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 03:44:18 PM »
Not strictly true Dave, whilst you are correct, most filters would become blocked due to debris in the oil the only time I've seen the relief valve in use was when a pattern oil filter was fitted. For some reason it collapsed and looked like someone had grabbed both ends and wrung it out, completely twisted out of shape. The strainer in the oil pan was covered with the paper the filter is made of, only a very small area was left uncovered. It didn't however block the restrictors in the base of the barrels, luckily.

If the relief valve is stuck or sticking you can remove the roll pin in the bolt, you need a 2mm pin punch to do this, this will allow you to remove the spring and the cup and then just clean everything up and reassemble, if you can drop the cup down the bolt and it drops right down to where it rests (which isn't right to the bottom as there is a small shelf it sits on) then it's good to reassemble.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2023, 06:09:06 PM »
I have now completed the master cylinder and it is back on the bike and working a treat. I will get round to the oil and filter soon and I will be sure to look for the washer and check the relief valve. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal