Author Topic: Exhaust joint refurb  (Read 323 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Exhaust joint refurb
« on: May 27, 2023, 09:00:40 AM »
My exhaust flange thingys are somewhat rusty and tatty

What’s best option to refurb them, paint, plate ???

Pic is for reference not one of mine [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Exhaust joint refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 09:15:27 AM »
Hi Paul,
Mine were a bit surface rusty when I got the 550 and I used a wire wheel in the pillar drill to lightly clean off the rusty bits. 
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Sorry that one is a bit fuzzy
Then I put them in a container with Jenolite rust remover and kept brushing them all over with a paint brush. 
When all the surface was clean, I applied 'Rub N Buff' to the surface and later I sprayed them with ACF 50
This is what they look like after a few rides out.

Ian

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:01:02 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust joint refurb
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 03:34:25 PM »
Paul I'm sure you seen the pics of the ones I did ? However I'll freely admit that was very time consuming and there was a lot of work involved.

Don't try chrome plating, it will rust in the valleys as they can't get in there.

Painting probably won't work either as the extreme heat cycle these are subjected to will defeat most paint, plus the surface is so rough it's hard to get a smooth finish and a rough finish will just let water penetrate the paint surface and end up blowing it off.

You could try ceramic coating, a firm in Warrington is who I use called Camcoat, very close to where you live actually. They do a finish called Cermakrome which is like a chrome finish. I reckon £5 a clamp would be the rough cost. Try and smooth them down a little first if you can, they really are very badly cast.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal