Author Topic: Help! Oil issues  (Read 816 times)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Help! Oil issues
« on: June 02, 2023, 02:35:43 PM »
Alright guys, I need some expert help again

After a joyous few trouble free months on the old 750 bob - I finally got round to syncing the carbs and with the new points and reg/rec she's been running so sweeet... however it ended last wk after a evening ride resulted in the RAC and flatbed Greg to recover me home  

15 mins into a decent duel carriageway blast I stopped at some lights, lost power and died then oil puked out from under the oil tank cap. (Not the breather)
I moped it up checked the level and still seemed good, cooled down for 10 then she fired up with no probs so I gingerly carried on and all was good, no exhaust smoke or odd engine noises. 3 miles later I stopped to check things over and the oil upwelled/puked again and had been leaking slightly.

After some thought I guessed I might have over filled as I'm running a custom tank, 2.2L but the level was good.
Next day I fired her up again and after 10mins of idling and seeing oil returning to the tank a 1st gear pootle down the road I had another look in the oil tank cap and it welled up and overspilled again.

I dropped the oil and removed the oil pump and filter and had just over 2L - I lost a fair bit when it puked each time. No bits of anything in the sump pan or pump screen. I've since checked the pressure relief valve and it's all good, not stuck and piston moving freely, likewise with the oil stopper valve.
The filter was fairly grubby and needed a change.
The feed and return lines are clear and free flowing likewise the crank case hose and the head breather hose.

I'm a bit stumped, what else should I be looking into?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Oil issues
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 03:00:51 PM »
Not a 750 expert and never professed to be but I'd be checking crankcase compression, has the vent pipe been blocked or kinked. Run it detached and see if it does it again.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 04:06:09 PM »
Sounds to me like you topped it up when it had been stood a while and oil tank had drained into sump

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 07:34:13 PM »
Yes as Bryan says, have checked mine after short run in garage and only half way on dipstick check another time and up to full mark without any topping up.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 10:23:16 PM »
Not a 750 expert and never professed to be but I'd be checking crankcase compression, has the vent pipe been blocked or kinked. Run it detached and see if it does it again.
No kinks or restrictions that I can see and firing on all four with power until she pukes and stumbles.. will put everything back together with fresh oil etc and see how she goes

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 11:03:57 PM »
You mentioned you are running a custom oil tank, has it only happened since you fitted the custom tank? Just thinking whether tank internals affecting anythink
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:00:21 PM »
You mentioned you are running a custom oil tank, has it only happened since you fitted the custom tank? Just thinking whether tank internals affecting anythink
No the tank isn't a new addition and not had any issues with it in the past. Nice and clean inside and no blockages to report

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
Possibly worth a run through of attributes in dry sump system fitted to those engine, maybe it'll prompt some further thoughts.

Scavenge pump should always return more volume than supply (else the system won't work) to keep sump area empty and all of volume available to the pressure side of pump to feed lubrication distribution.

Return pipe to tank should be above oil level on entry to tank. It can have air in return as it's just trying to suck sump clear when running.
Tank needs venting to avoid the return pressuring the contents, this usually has a air/oil separation to avoid oil being pushed out vent.
Could be vented to motor, but motor needs venting to avoid crankcase pressure building (they can't just constitute a closed system) usually this will be directed to air intake to avoid vent to atmosphere, or into a catch tank (also open to air) in case of oil being expelled.

The crankcase venting can't be dumped to oil tank (to use as a catch tank) it must be to atmosphere or into lower than atmosphere-ish, like an airbox to then ingest fumes into combustion.

Basically all the areas have to be effectively vented to atmosphere to avoid pressure building,  which is happening here. Somehow the tank etc is going over atmospheric, hence the oil just pumps out as soon as it gets a route that's unimpeded 

Too much oil for tank volume will cause a problem because the pump is trying to stash any available oil in there, but it should already have gone out the tank breather before you open the lid.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 03:54:05 PM »
Sounds to me like you topped it up when it had been stood a while and oil tank had drained into sump
I'm fairly convinced this is the issue if I were a gambling man..

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 01:15:15 PM »
I'm fairly convinced this is the issue if I were a gambling man..

When mine has been stood over winter I drain the sump first before starting it.
You would be amazed at the amount in there, just put it back in the tank. :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 01:17:12 PM »
I did the same Paul! A lot of oil.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal