Author Topic: Rear Brake Torque Arm Washers  (Read 394 times)

Offline rbt1548

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Rear Brake Torque Arm Washers
« on: June 02, 2023, 02:47:16 PM »
I was having a general look about in an illustrated parts catalogue and I came across a picture of the Rear Torque Arm and I noticed that parts 676 & 667, (in pic), are noted as 10mm spring washer & 12mm spring washer respectively, on checking mine the two washers are just plain washers, possibly changed by a previous owner, the one at the brake plate end is fine with a thick rubber washer and a plain washer the same dia. as the rubber one.

Could someone please tell me if they both should be spring washers? and if possible how tight the nuts on both ends of the torque arm should be?
It is no problem for me to change to spring washers as I have 10's & 12's.

Thanks.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Brake Torque Arm Washers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 02:57:12 PM »
Everyone I've seen has a flat and a spring washer at the front bolt, plain washer on first, then flat. The flat washer is the same diameter as the step on the bolt, the spring the same as the bolts thread which is normally 8mm.

As for the brake plate end, large, thick rubber washer same diameter as the step, then the torque arm goes on and that should cover the rest of the step if the rubber washer is thick enough, the idea being that the nut and plain washer on the thread should crush the rubber washer slightly so that acts like a spring washer keeping tension on the nut and also acts as an isolator for vibrations.

I was going to make some of those rubber washers but as most of them are already crushed I'd need the thickness of a new one so I could source the correct thickness rubber sheet to make them with Anyone has dimensions of a new one, OD, ID and thickness I'd be obliged.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline rbt1548

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 03:12:58 PM »
Everyone I've seen has a flat and a spring washer at the front bolt, plain washer on first, then flat. The flat washer is the same diameter as the step on the bolt, the spring the same as the bolts thread which is normally 8mm.

As for the brake plate end, large, thick rubber washer same diameter as the step, then the torque arm goes on and that should cover the rest of the step if the rubber washer is thick enough, the idea being that the nut and plain washer on the thread should crush the rubber washer slightly so that acts like a spring washer keeping tension on the nut and also acts as an isolator for vibrations.

I was going to make some of those rubber washers but as most of them are already crushed I'd need the thickness of a new one so I could source the correct thickness rubber sheet to make them with Anyone has dimensions of a new one, OD, ID and thickness I'd be obliged.

Thank you Oddjob, much appreciated, could you please clarify something for me, the piece highlighted in your reply ?, should it read 'flat washer first, then spring?', or am I getting mixed up with plain and flat?

Also how tight should it be?, especially the brake plate end as I would imagine that 'too tight' would negate the effect of isolation and tension given by a rubber washer.

Thanks again.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 03:17:30 PM »
Plain or flat, same thing. How tight, well nipped it is how I'd describe it, the split pin will stop it coming off if it's too loose so not so tight that you risk stripping it and not so loose you can remove it with fingers. The step on the bolts prevents you overtightening these nuts.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline rbt1548

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 03:43:36 PM »
Plain or flat, same thing. How tight, well nipped it is how I'd describe it, the split pin will stop it coming off if it's too loose so not so tight that you risk stripping it and not so loose you can remove it with fingers. The step on the bolts prevents you overtightening these nuts.

Thank you!, I just realised it was typed flat instead of spring, nipped up is sensible, thanks once again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal