Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Any tips for cleaning carbon off pistons?

(1/3) > >>

Matt_Harrington:
I now have certain items off being cleaned and painted and thought about cleaning up the pistons I am going to use. Anyone got a tip that worked?  A magic dip they used?  ;)

Nurse Julie:
Soaking in Cellulose thinners works well.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I am not aware of any solvent that will remove carbon deposit as it's pretty much insoluble in my experience.  Chemicals that attack carbon will usually eat through aluminium a treat. Oven cleaners are based on caustic soda that will damage aluminium.
Acetone can soften light deposits if they are petro-carbon based probably clean the lower sides of a piston but not the crown. .

Oddjob:
Use the abrasive brushes that Roo uses Matt. Start off with light blue and see if that removes it, if not go up to red and try that. Finish off with light green and it should gleam afterwards.

Matt_Harrington:

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on June 19, 2023, 07:15:09 PM ---Soaking in Cellulose thinners works well.

--- End quote ---
Julie, I had forgotten about that and have used that in the distant past.

--- Quote from: Oddjob on June 19, 2023, 08:25:39 PM ---Use the abrasive brushes that Roo uses Matt. Start off with light blue and see if that removes it, if not go up to red and try that. Finish off with light green and it should gleam afterwards.

--- End quote ---
Yes, that is an idea.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version