Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Any tips for cleaning carbon off pistons?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sesman:
I used thinners then 20 mins in the ultrasonic tank @ 50deg and they came up like new.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Did you use thinners in the ultrasound bath by putting the piston in a jar or just normal cleaning fluid for the last stage Phil?

Laverdaroo:
Bob it in a jar Ted and place the jar in the warm bath of the ultrasonic. You won’t need much thinners then and or have to bear the tank smell of the stuff, it’s vile!.

I had mixed results with cellulose thinners and resorted to the Dremel brushes that Ken mentioned on one set. Came out like new but depends how crusty yours are buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sesman:
Hi, Ted. Thinners and nylon brush. Yes, I used a strong solution of Allendales best in the US cleaner.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Sesman on June 20, 2023, 03:20:18 PM ---Hi, Ted. Thinners and nylon brush. Yes, I used a strong solution of Allendales best in the US cleaner.

--- End quote ---

Every day is a School Day - I could not envisage Thinners as a Carbon Solvent (or any other solvent) - I guess it must break down the petro-carbon bonds between the soot type particles.

Might be an easy way to de-carbon a cylinder head  & valves instead of all that brushing & scraping. 8) 8) 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version