Author Topic: K7 weird electrical fault  (Read 379 times)

Offline RoytheBoy

• View Profile
K7 weird electrical fault
« on: June 21, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.......The tail light on my CB750 has stopped working,
the light works as I've taken it off to check connections & tried it direct to a battery,
I have continuity through the wiring (inc fuse & switches)
I thought it must be an earth fault (most likely), but that's fine too!!

so now I'm stumped.......

cheers

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: K7 weird electrical fault
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »
My first thoughts are if you connect a test lamp between the two wires that feed the tail lamp live feed & the earth does it illuminate ?

I am assuming that there is a connector at the tail lamp end into the short wiring harness that runs inside the rear fender.
If the test lamp illuminates and the rear lamp works from a battery  the fault is in the connections between the two points.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 10:37:09 PM »
The earth wire normally has a spade connector on it which goes onto a spade protruding from the bulb holder, make sure that's not broken.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 01:28:38 AM »
On the assumption of a shared earth (ie unmolested rear lamp unit) does the brake light work normally? If so, the earth is indeed ok.

When you checked the tail light with a battery, are you certain you checked the tail filament, and not the brake filament - assuming you’ve the standard double filament bulb (so sorry if stating the obvious!).

Sometimes the bulb connections can fail; emery / clean up the body earths and pin connections of both the bulb and bulb holder.

A continuity check using a meter may not give the full story, as it uses an extremely low current for this function. This low current will happily flow through furry / corroded connections … which may not subsequently carry the current needed to operate the tail lamp.

Does the bike have a front parking light (2nd position on the key) - and does this work? If yes & no, then perhaps a fault in the ignition switch?

From what you describe, the handlebar switch sounds ok on the assumption the headlight works, but spraying switch cleaner into its slot wouldn’t go amiss.

Before going too deep, perhaps look in the headlamp bowl, hoping to find a disconnected Brown wire? Good luck….

Offline RoytheBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 12:01:04 AM »
Thank you all for your input, & answers to a few things asked:
I checked both brake & tail filaments when off the bike (brake light was working normally anyway)
Tail came on when ignition key turned to 2
Cables checked ok in HL housing

Yesterday the headlight was working, today it wasn't, so I took off the fuse housing & cleaned thoroughly (was getting some odd readings on the tail one anyway), I sprayed lube into the ignition & light on/off switches & functioned them a few times, I then tried the lights again & hey presto, they both worked :)

cheers
Roy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal