Author Topic: Going on a longer camping trip. What tools to bring?  (Read 609 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Going on a longer camping trip. What tools to bring?
« on: June 22, 2023, 08:20:03 PM »
Hey all

Going for a longer ride in Southern Sweden, and am doing packing lists right now.

Can anyone advise a good set of tools to bring with me, that would allow me to do regular maintenance? I can think of some stuff myself, but wanna make sure I get all the tips and tricks I can get, and don't forget anything important :)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Going on a longer camping trip. What tools to bring?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 08:44:13 PM »
Good break down Insurance cover.   😁😁😁
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 09:05:37 PM »
Good break down Insurance cover.   
Yes,

Otherwise something to check the points

Are you happy to take the wheel out to fix a puncture?

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »
Just the toolkit Honda put under the seat and a multimeter, that's all.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 11:07:35 PM »
Spare plug? ….. having changed one roadside last week. The best thing you can surely do is to give the bike a really thorough service / inspection < you depart.

Designing a toolkit by committee suggests you may need a support van 😂.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 12:03:11 AM »
Fuses, a small bag of them. Electrical problems can rear there head at any time and being stuck without a spare fuse means robbing one from another circuit which has it's problems as well. Some feeler blades, just in case. A tin of puncture repair foam, just in case.   A small box of bulbs, just one of each kind used on the bike. That's all that comes to mind straight off.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 09:11:06 AM »
Ken is right. The only issues I have had in the past on long trips is electrical. I'd add a little coil of wire, insulating tape etc and maybe a cable repair kit. The more you take, the less you will need! (Murphy's law and all that!)
On my trip to IoM last year for the Manx, I left my toolkit in the Hotel room - big mistake as not only did I do that but also my mate did - of course we both broke down! Then I needed to try and find someone with a spark plug spanner. I eventually did after finding that quite a lot of riders didn't have one. In fact one guy had spare plugs and no spanner (he was ribbed mercilessly by his mates!) 
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 09:34:57 AM »
If you've not got a suitable volt meter, I find these very good https://www.soselectronic.com/en/products/uni-t/ut-120-c-186001 small and internal battery seems to last heading towards 10 yrs !

Almost no consideration to pack as so light and small, ideal for most things to understand faults etc, not too expensive, mine's been used more on helping others out on camping trips etc.

Hopefully, with good preparation, you'll not need anything on your trip, but good to have basics as noted. Bike tool kit more or less covers it, unless you've got any special bolts swapped onto the bike.

May add a Bahco adjustable spanner (Swedish, I believe  :) ) to help with anything outside tool kit capabilities, again I've often used to help out others without specific tools.

Puncture probably one your worst problems, but most don't change/fix those anyway.

My list ;- bike tool kit, Bahco, volt meter and a few fuses.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 08:14:21 PM »
Never works out what tools you carry, when you break down you never have the right tool to do a roadside repair. Was out riding yesterday when i noticed my left leg getting wet, stopped and saw petrol which looked like coming from number 1 carb. Rode quarter of a mile to the pub and got a beer. Went back outside and turned the fuel tap back on to noticed the pipe split at the tap.
Went back in the pub and asked the landlord if he had a stanley knife. Cut about 10mm off, connected the pipe back and was on my merry way again  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:20:21 PM by Trigger »

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 07:55:12 AM »
Never works out what tools you carry, when you break down you never have the right tool to do a roadside repair. Was out riding yesterday when i noticed my left leg getting wet, stopped and saw petrol which looked like coming from number 1 carb. Rode quarter of a mile to the pub and got a beer. Went back outside and turned the fuel tap back on to noticed the pipe split at the tap.
Went back in the pub and asked the landlord if he had a stanley knife. Cut about 10mm off, connected the pipe back and was on my merry way again  ;)
Like the way the beer got priority Trigger!🤣🤣
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »
Always get the beer in first, keeps the landlord happy  ;)

Had two local mates who planed to go to the IOM this year, both are mechanics and have never been. One on a BMW RS and the other on a BMW RT, both very new bikes with under 16,000 miles.
The went to set of and the RT starter motor would not engage so, they thought no problem we will just bump start it, five miles down the road the same bike ran out of fuel ( though the Gauge said it was half full ). They pushed the half a mile to the fuel station but, had to wait some time for it to open. By the time they fueled up, they realized  that they were running late for the ferry but, at least they were on there way.

A quick blast across the county and got to the ferry just in time. A couple of miles off the ferry on the IOM and the RS lost all drive. Pushed it to a farm and left it in a barn. Then they went to and frow with luggage to the B&B they were booked in at. Went back the next day with some tools to strip the rear end down and found that the drive shaft splines had gone. Ordered another drive shaft from the UK which turned up two days later and got it all working again.

On the way home the RT ran out of fuel again as he had forgot that the gauge was not working correctly  ???

They said, they had a nice time apart from all the break downs and sodding about  :) :) :)     
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 08:42:52 AM by Trigger »

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »
....They pushed the half a mile to the fuel station but, had to wait some time for it to open.....

We pushed the RT in the IoM to the ferry terminal - that was knackering!
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 10:39:28 AM »
Not a good ad for the BMW brand! Or maybe just highlights that anything can and does happen with any make or age of bike.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »
If it's anything like post 2005 Mercs the over complication of electronic equipment that does not like water can lead to breakdowns on even relatively new vehicles.

Certainly with Mercs the accountants put pressure on costs to parts suppliers that resulted in significant failures on diesel 4 cylinder injectors circa 2013/4 iirc.
In one instance the injector suppliers had changed the type of adhesive used to secure the coils in the injector body to save on cost as they had won the contract on a tender that was not really good business. (Instead of opening/closing the injector the coils just moved up/down inside the sealed housing at the top of the injectors!)

We had dozens of Mercs that had an injector failures within a few hundred miles of delivery or even during the PDI. Early victims had new injectors fitted that failed again within weeks of replacement.

As a result of the recalls it pushed the supplier to the brink of insolvency - Merc could not find an alternative supplier so they ended up buying the debt laden company returning the adhesive to the original MB specification.

A fear expressed here is that replacing the point based ignition system on a sohc unit with electronic might not always be a roadside fix.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:17:52 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »
This was marvellous tips gentlemen! Thank you very much :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal