Author Topic: Pattern rhs switch gear - is this incorrect?  (Read 431 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Pattern rhs switch gear - is this incorrect?
« on: June 28, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
I bought this on eBay - seller sent me an offer so it was ten pounds cheaper than normal, so it being Saturday morning/hungover I pressed 'buy'.

Now it's here, it doesn't look anything like my original and crucially it's missing the lights ./p/h switch. Is that correct for any CB550 - or is this just wrong. The seller lists it as compatible for a whole list of 550's - but I assumed they all had te light switch on this side.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Right-Hand-Switch-Gear-CB360-CB400-CB550-CB750-GL1000-F-K-35130-377-P00/115776266808?pageci=2cbcd3e5-0565-4485-888f-e25657f726bf&redirect=mobile#vi-desc-maincntr

Nb...bike is a bitsa, my original switch is missing the starter button and run/stop internals. For this replacement  I just want to be able to run wires outside the bars and connect under the tank, but the light switch is needed too.

Aside from that, the casting is pretty rubbish and the but the starter button is in is far deeper and squared than my one. 😞
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Pattern rhs switch gear - is this incorrect?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 02:04:57 PM »
Not suitable, send it back.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:03 PM »
Yes - it was back in the post within  the hour.it looked horrible - if you look in the link you can even see the casting flaw in the top half/right side where the halves meet. Crappy quality...I should have paid more attention.

Has anyone used alternative pattern suppliers that they recommend?
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 04:57:44 PM »
What are you looking for Andy? What's wrong with the existing switch?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 05:34:42 PM »
Thats for us model that has lights on all time

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 08:20:56 AM »
Existing switch is an old one from a box, and it's missing the starter button and the related internal switch; and it's also missing the wiring for the red run/off switch too - so I'm just looking to find a correct replacement that I can simply swap in rather than trying to find the internal bits - so a nice clean, new one is the aim!

I had just used the kick start, so was able to work around those missing bits by using the light switch as on/off, but I want to wire properly now and have lights and the electric start.

I have a CB650 one that might do for now....but it used block connectors with tiny terminals, so that's another pain to work round!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
I looked a bit closer now, the run/off switch is there but the wires have been pulled out...to get to it I need to remove the light switch which seems to be a JIS screwdriver, so can't do that until I buy some. Will try Halfords later.

Still missing the starter button though - I'm not sure those are available anywhere, but if they are, any thoughts where?
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 02:47:42 PM »
What bike are you looking for one for Andy, CB500K or a CB550F or a CB550K3, they are all different.

I have a spare one of the 550F switches, just reconditioned it as per pic. Might be a bit too bright for you though  ;D ;D The bodies have been ceramic coated not sprayed, impervious to hydraulic fluid as well.

May be willing to sell, genuine switch, I don't do copies. All internals have been checked, cleaned and coated with dielectric grease. The sheathing on the wires has been replaced as well and all bullet connectors are original and perfect.

And as they were before being done.

Can I just say I've tidied up the paint on the symbols since those pics were taken, just in case you were noticing it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 06:00:07 PM by Oddjob »

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 07:04:10 AM »
Ken,
They look great - thanks for the offer. I've now taken mine apart and it's only missing the starter button and some wiring, so my plan is to clean and rewire that one - whilst trying to find an appropriate button (which may not be original).
Thanks again!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 02:35:42 PM »
I'll look in my big box of switchgear bits and see if I have one. I had some spare cases ceramic coated so they live in the same box. Just in case.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal