Author Topic: Clutch castellated nut removal?  (Read 382 times)

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
Clutch castellated nut removal?
« on: July 17, 2023, 04:33:12 PM »
Hi

I'm finally back working on my 400 restoration (I'm racing the Forth Bridge painters, and currently coming second!!). 

Currently struggling to remove the clutch castellated nut.  I have tools to fit the nut, and hold the clutch drum (the engine is out of the bike).  Looking at video on YouTube, and reading the Haynes manual it seems that the nut should be relatively easy to remove!!  Am I missing something as I cannot get the nut to loosen?  I've sprayed on penetrating oil, and tried with a "breaker" bar - just lifts the engine off of the bench!

Any tips/advice gratefully received

TIA

Cheers Steve

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch castellated nut removal?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 04:37:52 PM »
Hi Steve, sorry to state any thing obvious here but other than making sure there are no locking tabs catching still, I would give the wrench a sharp couple of blows to loosen. Or try a rattle gun on it.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 05:18:15 PM »
Hi

I'm finally back working on my 400 restoration (I'm racing the Forth Bridge painters, and currently coming second!!). 

Currently struggling to remove the clutch castellated nut.  I have tools to fit the nut, and hold the clutch drum (the engine is out of the bike).  Looking at video on YouTube, and reading the Haynes manual it seems that the nut should be relatively easy to remove!!  Am I missing something as I cannot get the nut to loosen?  I've sprayed on penetrating oil, and tried with a "breaker" bar - just lifts the engine off of the bench!

Any tips/advice gratefully received

TIA

Cheers Steve

Whilst my engine was still in the bike I used the Clutch Basket tool not only was the nut tight but there was not a lot of safe leverage without risking knuckle damage - (iirc there is a split pin) I just used a large rubber Mallett and gave it a good knock - it came loose with a show of blood from my knuckles - should have worn gloves.

PS I was afraid to use my cordless impact tool in case it damaged the clutch basket.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 05:19:54 PM »
Steve, When I had to strip my engine, the castellated nut was a mother to get loose. I ended up using a small SDS impact drill with a chisel point and it came off easily with that. My air impact gun wouldn't shift it. If you go that route, make sure you avoid the threads. Needless to say, you will need a new nut!!  ;)
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
Thanks all - much appreciated. 

I’ll recheck tab washer to ensure no tabs are snagging the bolt - then start to plan to use brute force!

Cheers Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal