Author Topic: Fitting a Delkevic exhaust system on my CB550F 1977  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a Delkevic exhaust system on my CB550F 1977
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2023, 09:24:46 AM »
Photos from Grahams WhatsApp group. This is on a CB550 F1 fitted last week by a forum member.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 10:34:32 AM »
Mmh… that bracket looks similar to mine though. I wonder how the rest of his exhaust is mounted and configured. Also it doesn't seem like he is using the center stand stop rubber.

The passenger seat peg as indentations that fit the indentations of the frame. If I mount the exhaust on the outside of the frame, it will interfere with the indentations, which is why I think it is to be mounted on the inner side. But would love to see pictures of how you do it!

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »
I think my main concern is that if I mount the muffler with the included bracket to the passenger peg hole, the center stand rubber stop is way to back on the back and is not stopping the center stand, which leads me to believe that I need a different bracket, that will put the muffler forward around 5-10 cm.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 11:03:27 AM »
It’s a it difficult to tell from those photos, but is the bracket on the inside or outside of the footrest mounting?

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 12:18:11 PM »
It’s a it difficult to tell from those photos, but is the bracket on the inside or outside of the footrest mounting?

To my eyes it’s on the inside.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 02:32:20 PM »

Inside  ???

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 02:35:25 PM »

To my eyes it’s on the inside.

I only have mine on the outside as i don't have a footpeg. Mine is a 550K1 which is the same frame as a CB500 four.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »
Just managed to fight my way through the garage to check mine….it’s on the inside of the footrest mount.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2023, 07:40:47 AM »
I found this picture on our american sister forum. Although it is a CB750, the bracket looks more like the type I need to mount it on a CB550F2, as the mounting hole for the passenger peg is shot backwards like that, thus allowing the muffler to be mounted properly, the centerstand rubber stop to still function correctly all the while still being mounted securely.

Two questions:

1. Can I let the muffler hang without the mounting bracket for a while, or will that be too heavy and comprosise the structure of the mounting pegs on the engine block?

2. I have attached the muffler with a tension band that secures with some screws. I feel like I have tightened it tremendously, but when I rev the engine, fluid still seeps out where it is attached. How hard am I supposed to torque these screws on the tension band? Also, do you guys use some sort of gasket goo before attaching the muffler?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2023, 07:56:28 AM »
The pictures Nurse Julie put on is a CB550 F1, which is the same frame, footpeg hanger and set up as a 550F2.

If the silencer is not supported, you run the risk of the exhaust studs being snapped in the head  ;)

The Delkevic should come with a tube of exhaust sealer .

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2023, 08:03:47 AM »
The pictures Nurse Julie put on is a CB550 F1, which is the same frame, footpeg hanger and set up as a 550F2.

If the silencer is not supported, you run the risk of the exhaust studs being snapped in the head  ;)

The Delkevic should come with a tube of exhaust sealer .

It is indeed, but he has not mounted the centerstand rubber stop. He is using the same bracket as I have, but if using the centerstand, it will not hit the rubber stop, had he mounted it. Also, the muffler must be sitting really far back (see my initial picture, where you can see the position of the muffler when it has to align with the passenger peg hole), so the muffler is barely slid on the head.

At least that's the case on my bike. I would have to slide the head half of the exhaust pipes and then mount the muffler half on the head in the other end. But the whole operation would be rather wiggly as a result. And the centerstand rubber stop would not line up with the actual centerstand :(

And to top it all off, the delkevic didn't come with exhaust sealer. I am going to call them next week for sure!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2023, 08:20:24 AM »
The rubber stop bolts on the back of the bracket and the foot of the center stand rests against it when the center stand is up.
I have fitted a fair few of these exhausts and never had any problems with or with out a center stand fitted. Are you sure that your center stand is not bent or out of shape.

The delkevic pipes come with little stickers numbered 1 to 4 which match the connecting pipe. You fit everything loose to the bike and do not tighten up any nuts or bolts until everything is lined up  ;)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2023, 03:12:43 PM »
Hey

Here is some pictures to better explain what's happening. On the first picture, I have mounted the muffler via the bracket that came with the exhaust. It shows clearly how the muffler almost can't connect to the head.

On the second picture, same setup, but this shows how the centerstand is not hitting the rubber stop when the muffler is mounted via the bracket.

Lastly, on the third picture, I tried to slide the head more away from the exhaust pipes, so it sat right in the middle of the exhaust pipe and the muffler (still mounted via the bracket). But that gives such a space between the exhaust pipes and the head, that I will never be able to connect the springs and drag them out. It simply requires too much force.

The last picture is without the muffler, so you can see the condition of the centerstand, which to my knowledge is exactly as it should be.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »
Take the bracket off, mount the silencer properly and see what needs modifying on the bracket

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2023, 05:15:13 PM »
Turn the center stand stop around  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal