Author Topic: Oil change minor issue  (Read 444 times)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Oil change minor issue
« on: July 28, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »
I always drain my oil when the bike is on it's sidestand. The drain plug is on the left side so I figured that the oil would drain out better, not leaving any quantity of oil in the sump. My drain can fits under the bike to catch the oil safely as well. If on the centrestand, it is not easy to position the drain can where it will safely catch all the oil with no spills.
I drained my oil the other day and left it overnight to drain completely. Next day I  took the drain can away and put the bike on it's centrestand to make it slightly easier to fit the drainplug. About a cupful of oil came out, which surprised me. Enough to get messy. ☹️  Not doing that again.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Oil change minor issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 12:37:03 PM »
Was it from the filter?
Or had you drained that previously

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »
Always drains better on the center stand as, you have found out. It is because on the center stand the engine is leaning forwards. To get a better lean, but a plank of wood under the center stand.  ;)

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 01:18:10 PM »
Always drains better on the center stand as, you have found out. It is because on the center stand the engine is leaning forwards. To get a better lean, but a plank of wood under the center stand.  ;)
What a timely post, I’ve literally just put mine on the centre stand with a piece of wood under it hoping it would do just that. Came to look here for any tips before I start, it’s my first oil change on a CB750. Nice to know I got something right.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
What a timely post, I’ve literally just put mine on the centre stand with a piece of wood under it hoping it would do just that. Came to look here for any tips before I start, it’s my first oil change on a CB750. Nice to know I got something right.

TIP, Don't lose the washer that is after the spring. Sometimes they get stuck to the filter and you put them in the bin  :o

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 02:15:38 PM »
Was it from the filter?
Or had you drained that previously

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

No, new filter fitted.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »

TIP, Don't lose the washer that is after the spring. Sometimes they get stuck to the filter and you put them in the bin  :o
Got it safe and sound

Just about to refill, what I found very strange was that neither the oil tank or the sump drain bolts had washers, I do have spares so can fit them, is that normal??

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 05:35:19 PM »
Only when done by a numpty, do make sure the washer is not on there and deformed.
Usualy the filter washer missing as well

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 05:48:11 PM »
Only when done by a numpty, do make sure the washer is not on there and deformed.
Usualy the filter washer missing as well
Cheers, definitely not there and new washers fitted now and the filter washer presented itself to me nicely.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal