SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Clear coat for alloy hubs .. Bike painting in general

(1/5) > >>

AshimotoK0:
A few of my bikes I polished the wheel hubs and left it at that. However, on my 750K0 a few years back I followed MarkB on the Sandcast Only forum's advice and cleaned the hubs thoroughly with acetone and clear coated with Eastwood 1k Diamond clear but I was not over impressed with the finish. I came to conclusion that Vic World was correct that ideally you need a chromate conversion process on the alloy surface ( e.g. Alodine 1000 series) to make the clear coat adhere properly but ...this is nasty stuff and virtually impossible for the DIYer to obtain in the UK.
Last year my mate spotted somebody selling a 2l kit of 2k Mipa clear coat for £10 at Rufforth Autojumble .. the cheeky bugger offered the seller £5 for it on my behalf and he reluctantly sold it to me.
Anyway, I checked it out and it's what car alloy wheel guys use to clear coat and is described as 'suitable for direct application  to alloy'.I tried some out last weekend  on a pair of 400F hubs and pretty impressed. Its called Mipa CA with HS10 hardener. Goes on really well ...I cleaned the semi-polished surface with thinners then pure acetone.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

JamesH:
Lovely finish ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Laverdaroo:
That looks well Ash. Top job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddjob:
What sort of finish was on the alloy before Ash? Just clean or mirror polished etc

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on July 30, 2023, 01:43:03 AM ---What sort of finish was on the alloy before Ash? Just clean or mirror polished etc

--- End quote ---

Polished then knocked back with 1500 grit pad lubricated with pink Jizer to try to get original Honda finish. Tried to match to a NOS Honda part

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version