SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Clear coat for alloy hubs .. Bike painting in general

<< < (2/5) > >>

Trigger:
Nice finish mate.  ;)

Trigger:
I just looked in my polishing diary and i got it down to 600 with a satin mop and the lacquer didn't run. Did try a 1320 grit once with a satin mop but, the lacquer started to run mate. But, it is a close call with how thick you can spray the lacquer through the gun without making a total mess of things  ;)  So 1500 wet and dry is a good call mate.

Matt_Harrington:
Mipa paints are good. I often used their 2k black and its v.easy to spray. Never tried the clear coat but might have a go at some stage.

AshimotoK0:
It's all a matter of choice really.. as I said some  of my bikes are left just polished alloy .... but  I personally don't like the highly polished look unless it's on a special, chopper etc. Some love it though. The main exercise here was to try to get clear to stick to alloy without using some nasty unobtanium chemical. Having said that the isocyanate in the 2k clear is pretty nasty stuff too.

Going to try the Mipa HX 2k clear on my C110 paintwork this week sometime. I will report back.

Sesman:
Nice finish that Ash….where were you when I rebuilt the 550 F wheels😁. If my vapour blast and ACF50 finish begins to suffer, I’ll definitely rebuild using your suggestion as the finish is exactly what I was seeking at the time.👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version