Author Topic: Some assistance re venders...  (Read 3898 times)

Offline teenybop1

• View Profile
Re: Some assistance re venders...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 12:16:59 PM »
I'm obviously biased due to a terrible experience, but I would give the widest berth possible with Honda classics restoration limited of Daventry. They may have parts, but place is going bust/tits up, closing call it what you like, but they are not to be trusted.. Phew, I feel better now :-)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 12:24:42 PM »
I'm obviously biased due to a terrible experience, but I would give the widest berth possible with Honda classics restoration limited of Daventry. They may have parts, but place is going bust/tits up, closing call it what you like, but they are not to be trusted.. Phew, I feel better now :-)

At Honda, he was know as Dodgy Rodger  ;)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »
Definitely the case that naming & shaming might not always put a firm out of business or make it change it's ways  but it does make one feel better to tell folk. 8) 8) 8)

I think we need an update here on the current state of your 400 project so we can help you move forwards.

A trouble shared & all that George is a trouble halved or is it doubled!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 01:06:37 PM »
Unfortunately not for all,of us. I get a “ we have looked everywhere…” message from ebay.

Offline teenybop1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »

At Honda, he was know as Dodgy Rodger  ;)
Dodgy Rodger,, thanks for making me spit out my coffee with laughing,,, I genuinely feel better :-)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2023, 02:36:31 PM »
Unfortunately not for all,of us. I get a “ we have looked everywhere…” message from ebay.

Try the second link Phil, that works. They are Brembo ceramic pads, I've used the SBS ceramic and they are really good.

On that note, just shows you how incompetent these sellers are, you select those Brembo pads and tell it they are for a CB500K 1972 and it says they don't fit. That's odd because the 400 and 500/550 pads are the same, check on their other items and they list the exact same pad as now fitting the CB500K. Even Teds link says they don't even fit the CB400F, they are for the CB400A and CB400T. Get it right fellas, it's not rocket science.

Same pads, different bike.

If anyone buys a set please let me know how they fit the caliper body, the SBS ones I bought are a little loose around the locating dowel at the top of the pad, this makes me think they'll rattle a bit when used. I did complain to SBS about them but never got a reply.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325726294495?epid=1850700684&hash=item4bd6ccd1df:g:UO4AAOSwANhifbP6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0NWztS6wOZ3r5r2dKLQSslROduB%2B7bDvCAfNMixaG6bBtx6X28%2F40LgO2A%2FfoAShj08FOtxGmhkoE%2ByaJUmCBXqk8g92vG90BwcuKztXcAP7OlfRdnd7xATUS8ivkUviNMqqWbXAOBtzJWOoHBR%2FpK5JQ%2BkD6deBx2j%2F9fKSJgRPeaStF%2FJsXR4zTYL5ZQ7f8vq%2F0A4HQzlbxDsdKQXelVjolSXShZ2WAgrB9IW2WZNy1A8pV9wQ9KRWXKwacVW5FcNjleuweRbo0t1sgUnhnw8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_ScyY24Yg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:07:07 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »
I have had a lot of parts from Honda Classics and never a problem, mostly stainless caliper pistons

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 04:35:12 PM »
As  total newby here I don't know ANYTHING about the vendors/quality but, FWIW,  a few days ago I ordered parts from both David Silver and Honda Classics.  Both orders arrived two days later...as did the HEL brake line order.  So as far as delivering an order, I was quite impressed.

I have all the parts - mixed between DSS/Hclassics - I need to go through the front brake so that's the project for tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see if it makes sufficient improvement in the front brake performance.  I have to admit based on all the posts I've read re this, I'm thinking it won't... :(

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2023, 05:18:56 PM »
You could always consider having the disc drilled etc that is supposed to make a difference especially in wet weather performance.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2023, 08:43:37 PM »
Forgive me if I seem a bit of a numpty, but re, the drilling of discs, I assumed that, apart from being fashionable, it helped with water dispersal and cooling.  The brake works by friction between the pad and metal, not fresh air. The same argument as to tyres, it's the rubber which grips the road surface, not the tread. The tread is there just to disperse water.  It's Friday evening, I've had a couple of beers and a good meal!  Stay safe everyone. Mike.

Offline teenybop1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
I have had a lot of parts from Honda Classics and never a problem, mostly stainless caliper pistons
I've no doubt honda classics are fine for getting parts sent out, they are closing and now clearing stock. Look forward to seeing Rodgers face when the rogue traders team turn up in Daventry,,

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »
It says on the website buisiness for sale as he wants to retire, that sounds reasonable to me, like i said i have ordered stuff several times both direct and via ebay and everything has turned up promptly and in full.
Any buisiness will find the odd disgruntled customer and postage has now turned hit and miss, even post office is loosing stuff whilst in my area hermes/evri is so bad if i buy on ebay i pay extra for a different method

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2023, 10:44:56 AM »
I have purchased a couple of items via e-bay from Honda Classics in the past.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2023, 10:50:11 AM »
Thanks.  I ordered the HEL lines. 
Who the hell are HEL though?  ???
If anyone ever wants any HEL brake lines feel free to drop me a message, I have an account with them and get a trade discount which I would gladly pass onto any forum members  :)
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2023, 01:41:53 PM »
Always found Roger to be a great bloke to deal with. Even helped me out with a few rare used parts. Shame if his business is in bother or is he just winding down to retirement.
If you haven't read it this article attached is interesting and funny about his time at Honda and beyond ... particularly the escapade with the actress Liz Frazer.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal