Author Topic: Workshop / Shed Size?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Workshop / Shed Size?
« on: August 04, 2023, 01:01:11 PM »
I am considering building a wooden shed / workshop to help facilitate my first minor restoration project and generally help with routine maintenance on the bikes I already have.

Ideally I’m looking to get some feedback on what size I would need to have a bike lift, room for a small bench, tools etc. I would like enough room to walk around the lift and have enough access on all sides to work without struggling for space.

Any real life experience would be helpful. I’m pretty lucky as my wife has given the go ahead, I have the choice of down the bottom of the garden, which would require a new hard standing installing, or I can put one on the exisiting patio.

On the patio, I would be able to go approx 16 x 8 max, would 12 x 8 give me enough? I’ve marked it out and it seems ok but real life experiences would be really helpful.

It only needs to be a space for one bike as I can cram them in the main garage but there isn’t enough space in there for the bikes and to carry out the work.

Ideally I would like 20 x 10 but I think that may well be overkill?

Thanks in advance

Greg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:00:24 PM by Craizeehair »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop / Shed Size?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 01:22:18 PM »
whatever size you get you will fill it up! I have a 26 x 10 and its full. 12 x 8 would be ok as a dedicated workshop.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 01:27:40 PM »
It's the height at the roof apex that's most critical if you want to use a ramp. Also, you need extra floor bearers put in to spread the load of the ramp with the bike on it. Ideally, the working base needs to be concrete instead of timber. 16' x 8' at the minimum.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »
whatever size you get you will fill it up! I have a 26 x 10 and its full. 12 x 8 would be ok as a dedicated workshop.
Thanks, that’s good to know as it could be a dedicated workshop as I do have the garage attached to the house for other ‘stuff’

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 01:46:29 PM »
Thanks, that’s good to know as it could be a dedicated workshop as I do have the garage attached to the house for other ‘stuff’

Then buy a a big shed and empty to stuff from the garage and use the garage  ;)

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 01:56:13 PM »

Then buy a a big shed and empty to stuff from the garage and use the garage  ;)
That would be ideal but the garage is quite slim and shelved out down one side with the wife’s stuff, with a ramp up,  there would be no route through and that’s one battle I don’t need to have, I’ve had enough green lights for bikes and sheds lately to take my wins

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 02:16:33 PM »
My bike garage is 20' by 10' and I find it enough for a workbench and two bikes. There is enough space to work on a single bike easily, and store all of the motorcycle related tools etc.

I don't know whether you've spoken to insurers if you plan to keep your bike(s) in there? Mine were happy to accept my "Cedar Garage" after reading the manufacturer's literature, however they said that even in this rural postcode, anything described as a shed would be deemed unacceptable.

The floor loading for mine is two tonnes, however as a precaution I asked for a double floor to be installed.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 02:50:05 PM »
You need to consider where the door will be and if it's a single or double door. A double is best IMO as it gives you more room for wing mirrors and such, a shed with the door in the long side is also better IMO, they are normally called reverse apex roofs unless of course you go for the flat sloping roof.

With a ramp, roof height is critical, measure the bike from the floor to the top of it's mirrors and add on around 3ft for the ramp and you'll know how high it has to be to clear.

I'm also looking for a decent sized shed which is how all this stuff is logged in my mind at present. With a ramp, concrete floor is a must IMO. Better to have it rawl bolted into the floor than risk it tipping over.

I plan to install my ramp right in the middle of the double doors, that gives me enough room to walk either side to get to benches and cupboards etc. If possible try to fit any tool chests or roll cabinets etc at the head of the ramp, accessible from both sides of the bench that way without having to walk round all the time. Plan it all out on paper first before buying so you buy the right one and if you have the money always buy the bigger of the 2 options you think are best.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »
Greg, it will never be too big! IMO
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 04:24:06 PM »
Like most are saying, erect the biggest shed you can live with.  You need space for the comfy chair and tea making facilities as well!!
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Workshop / Shed Size?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 04:47:20 PM »
Thanks all.

It will be on a concrete base wherever it’s final position is, so that should be fine.

Garaging them in there isn’t really an issue,for insurance purposes they can all squeeze into the brick built attached garage if need be, so that’s not the most important consideration.

In theory, I do have enough space to go to a decent size but I do want to be mindful of the space it takes away from the garden etc, I already take up one shed as well as my share of the garage.

What I don’t want to do is to be overly considerate and leave myself a space that is too small to work as an effective workshop. I’m just trying to figure out the minimum size I think I would need, I reckon that to be 12 x 8 minimum and keen to hear opinions from anyone who has similar to see if I’m way off the mark!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 04:59:39 PM by Craizeehair »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »
Slightly off topic but what about the neighbours? Planning permission is required when garage/shed space exceeds a certain cubic meterage, any existing buildings go towards this figure. Now if the sheds too big and the neighbours think it looks out of place or unsightly etc they could complain to the council and that's something you don't want.

I also read somewhere that if the building is a certain distance from the main wall of the house it falls outside these restrictions and planning permission isn't needed. Building regs may still be enforced though.

Just something to consider, bigger isn't always best.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 05:55:36 PM »
Slightly off topic but what about the neighbours? Planning permission is required when garage/shed space exceeds a certain cubic meterage, any existing buildings go towards this figure. Now if the sheds too big and the neighbours think it looks out of place or unsightly etc they could complain to the council and that's something you don't want.

I also read somewhere that if the building is a certain distance from the main wall of the house it falls outside these restrictions and planning permission isn't needed. Building regs may still be enforced though.

Just something to consider, bigger isn't always best.
Noted.

Luckily for us, last year our neighbour built a 20 x 10 wooden structure to house his miniature railway at the bottom of his garden, he did consult us before hand in case we objected… but live and let live and all that. I’ve already told him that mine is springing to life in my mind and he was more than happy. His runs along the back fence and mine (hopefully) will run along the side, so I can have double doors on the end and wheel the bike straight in. I haven’t gone as far as checking but I seem to recall 2.4m being the safe height as far as contravening any regs go?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 12:51:17 PM »
Check your local regs but as long s it doesnt exceed 2.4m in height you can have a shed as long as you like with no permissions, just off your neighbour as described earlier. I have a 5m x 3m currently (£1150.00 fitted as long as the base is already in for them to site it, Jorvik shedsoff ebay)but The Long Haired General has given pre planning consent to extend if required.
I have the 550, 400 and a bike ramp in there currently and two work benches for fettling. Its a squeeze but works well and even have room for a visitor when required 8)
 I've also all my tools and fishing gubbins in there. You learn to hang everything off the walls and ceiling to allow for better walk about room, works for me.
It's up against the wall and so instead of doors at the end, I have a single door to get in at one end and two doors on the same side to get the bikes in and out and or onto the ramp. Just get the biggest you can as it will never be big enough. I might add that all my benches are on hinges so that if I really need to I can fold them flat to the wall which is a real help and saves on room 'for cat swinging' and if not required.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 12:52:18 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal