Author Topic: Play in front wheel  (Read 508 times)

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Play in front wheel
« on: August 05, 2023, 12:08:04 PM »
This morning, when doing the brake work I noticed that the front wheel can move side to side slightly on the axle.  In looking at the diagram in the shop manual there is a spacer (#21 "wheel side collar" and #22, the front axle nut.  If the wheel is pushed to the non disc side of the axle, #21 has free play.  It APPEARS to me that the #22, the axle nut, can be adjusted so that there is no play for that spacer/the wheel.

Is that correct?  I can't find a specific reference re tightening/adjusting the axle nut in the shop manual.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Play in front wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 12:26:06 PM »
The "nut" on the axle needs to be done up tight and the hexagon on the nut should be closest to the wheel

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 01:43:43 PM »
Torques are on Page 105 of the shop manual.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »
Thank you!!

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 02:04:33 PM »
All in order now.   All play removed but curious why there was any in the first place.  With the clamp nuts tight, it can't unscrew.    ??

I lifted the front wheel to check rotation and brake drag and all is perfect!  Wheel spins freely with just a very slight whisper of the pad(s) just lightly brushing the rotor.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
Have you fitted new wheel bearings, is the bearing retainer punched in place if you have replaced them?

Just my thoughts.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 02:32:17 PM »
Maybe someone took the spindle out to replace the bearings or get as puncture fixed.

If it was a puncture repair or a new tyre the shop may have removed the spindle to put the wheel on a balance machine, just put it back in place afterwards thinking the owner would tighten it and the owner never even knew it had been removed
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 07:28:14 PM »
I haven't done any work to the wheel - it is as received when I bought it two weeks ago.  The bike had 4 former keepers so no telling what they did!  ;)

The bike still has has its 1977 registration/tax tag but no service/parts records until 2018.  There are numerous receipts/shop records from 2018 so my impression is that the bike sat for many years somewhere and was revived in 2018.  It also had new tires then but they need replacing - lots of small cracking in the sidewalls.  I would replace them myself but since the community garage (where the bike is located) is 3/4 mile from the house and I have to physically carry all tools/parts back forth to do any work (and stay within the parking slot), I think I'm going to have a shop install the new tires - either Avon Road Riders or Dunlop K82s...haven't decided.  Thoughts re tire choice?

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 11:16:29 PM »
I use K82's on my 400.  I wanted a compromise of period looks and fairly good grip, also I found they are fairly good in the wet. I you want to ride a bit harder, then the Avon Road Riders are VERY good. I use them on the little GB250 Clubman, and they have turned me into a 75 year old teenager!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal