Author Topic: Using ACF-50  (Read 415 times)

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Using ACF-50
« on: August 06, 2023, 12:07:03 PM »
Is it safe to use  ACF-50 on really hot areas like exhaust flanges, and has anyone got an opinion formed about it's effectiveness generally?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Using ACF-50
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »
It's more or less white spirit/Stoddart solvent  (flamms risk) with thick viscosity petroleum based oil, as many things like this, volatile in hot environments.

The spray type products usually have a solvent to make them flow and carry the base oil into a dispersed film on target item and penetrant to small gaps, eventually to evaporate and leave the chosen oil in place.

Less volatile once that evaporate stage has completed.

Seems quite effective at producing longer term sticky oil film to help prevent water driven corrosion, but unlikely useful on very hot surface items.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 01:51:40 PM »
Biggest problem is the propellant gas is butane, its safe if hot but not if red hot

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »
We had a rep give us a cheaper alternative to ACF-50 to try called - Brunox Lub & Cor Long-Term Corrosion Inhibitor. We tested it by vapour blasting some rusty nuts and bolts on my daily ride then coating them in the Brunox, it worked a treat, been on over 6 month now and no rust, it’s made in Switzerland I believe but seems to be getting hard to find now in large quantities
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 01:55:52 PM »
It was always considered the gold standard for protection against corrosion for light aircraft - mine was always treated annually, using a very long perforated tube passed through the wing ribs. Spar or internal corrosion was never an issue afterward in any of the aircraft that I owned.

I use it in aerosol form on the older bikes each winter, and it seems to do the job well enough. An additional benefit is that, unlike some other products, it does not turn yellow over time.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 08:54:17 AM »
PX24 is also pretty good.  I was once given some concoction from RR Aero Enines that was used when storing parts - basically lanolin in a solvent. I used it on wire wheels on my daily rider back in the 80's - fanstastic stuff but a sod to remove once it had dried.....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal