Author Topic: 750F2 First ride at last.  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
750F2 First ride at last.
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
At last got round to riding my F2 for the first time yesterday. Bought it last Feb. via adds section of this site. Had it running (ish) when I got it but never ridden it until yesterday.

Wow what a culture shock!!!!!  -  but good in other ways.

My other bike is a CBR600, against which the old 750 is out performed in every way as you would expect. However I do like the lazy way the F2 rides. In a funny way if you know it won't really perform by modern standards, you don't try - just enjoy it in other ways.

I was really just giving the bike a try out before strip down / cafe racer treatment in the future. Gearbox / clutch etc. fine, carburation understandably lumpy after standing a few years and I know ignition not 100%. Anyway good fun and can't wait to get stuck into it but I know this will be the winter realistically.

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 750F2 First ride at last.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
Sounds good, any pics for us to have a look at it?

They are a bit different to modern stuff, much longer and harder to change direction. They need some persuasive pressure that would have a newer race-rep straight upside down if used. It's much more like a big bore moto-crosser in that it's a lot of footpeg weighting and big pull of counter-steer to deviate it from straight ahead at speed, respectably quick though.

We had a small guy owned one early 80's and with ad-hoc drag racing (ahem, not on the public highway officer!!) that F2 would beat most things in it's era till CB900 Suzuki GSX etc came around.

Hope you enjoy it.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
Have some piccies on my other pc / will post sometime.

Closest thing I have ridden previously was my old Honda 750 DOHC but even that was tweaked to 95BHP at the backwheel so not too shabby! However the slow handling and weight very similar from what I remember. Anyway blazing performance was never expected. This is just something to fiddle with and hopefully be interesting and good to look at when done.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
I have been riding a Bandit 1250 this week as a nice young man in a white van destroyed my Sprint.

It reminds me of the first time I ever rode a CB750 - it was an F1 in about 1977 (it was yellow and I'd borrowed it from a mate). The turbine-like smoothness of the engine, the transmission whine and the stifled exhaust. The wide bars and high frequency vibes through the footrests.

Don't get me wrong, the Bandit is as dull as ditchwater and the F1 in its day was a "superbike" - I loved it!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Read Replica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
Know what you mean about the culture shock Tim. My Read Rep, basically an F2, gave me a not unfamiliar feeling to yours when I first got it back on the road with all its little issues. Gradually getting these sorted now and the more I ride it and work on it the more I like it. It will never compare to a modern bike and that is why it is so much fun to own and ride. It just takes you back to a rose tinted past.

Have fun with yours
Andy

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Hmmm...  Having never ridden anything newer than 1979, these comments make me wonder what is so different about modern bikes.   These SOHC Hondas were made in the seventies, which in my book makes them pretty modern; surely, at road legal speeds, they're not that different to new bikes are they?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:05:21 PM by florence »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
Difference?

An analogy for you. Torrey Canyon versus motor torpedo boat. Accelerate / Stop / Turn (at the same speed), compare and contrast!!

Anyway that ain't the point, I love both my bikes for different things. One of the big reasons for the SOHC Hondas have character in buckets. My CBR maybe an eggcup full!! Hope to add at least half a bucket more  of the afore mentioned with the cafe mods to the 750 too - if I ever get round to it.

Offline sim2011

• CB750 K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
A Big difference My last Modern 750 was a Duke 748R awesome handling, brakes etc now back to a CB750K3 with brakes and handling are comensurate with a bike from 40 years ago , both have their place.
Current Bikes            Previous Bikes
Honda CB750K3           Ducati 748R               Suzuki GSXR 750J Slingshot
Suzuki GT550M           Ducati 900 Superlight   Honda CB985F 
Suzuki GT250B            Suzuki GSXR 750M      Honda CB900F
                               Honda CB750F1           Honda CB250G5 
                               Suzuki GT250B            Suzuki B120

Offline p@ul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Hmmm...  Having never ridden anything newer than 1979, these comments make me wonder what is so different about modern bikes.   These SOHC Hondas were made in the seventies, which in my book makes them pretty modern; surely, at road legal speeds, they're not that different to new bikes are they?

Ha ha ha just read this thread... You woudn't want to jump on my R1 and thats a 1st generation one with carbs.... Scary stuff i can tell ya !!
CB 750 f2..... November 2012 the start of a long Cafe project !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal