Author Topic: Is the Haynes manual worth getting  (Read 545 times)

Offline Mick550

• View Profile
Is the Haynes manual worth getting
« on: August 11, 2023, 08:38:57 PM »
As a new proud owner of a K1, I was wondering if the Haynes manual is a good addition, or is there an alternate publication that's better, as it seems to be "unpopular" in some quarters ? 
I have downloaded the shop manual from the "cave", which seems to cover everything anyway, so would value opinions as to whether this would be all I'll every need?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Haynes manual worth getting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 08:46:03 PM »
Personally, I would say yes, get the Haynes. It's the combination of the Shop Manual and Haynes that will help you but, there are errors in both so best to ask on here if not sure about something.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 07:27:14 AM »
Haynes is a reasonable priced book for the diyer whilst the Honda shop book was written for dealer mechanics so assumes basic knowledge.
As Julie says there are mistakes in both and some of the Haynes ones are really anoying whilst the Honda ones are mostly bad translation, though not all

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:04:02 AM »
I have never scanned my 500/4 Haynes manual to pdf but I did my CB750 one and the scan is in my Droobox links. Seeing as my 500 one is falling apart I can auto scan it to pdf at work if there is any interest. Personally I see the Haynes ones as a good addition to the Honda Shop manuals. Problem with the Honda ones were that they were done very early when the model was introduced and never really updated other than Service Bulletins being issued to dealers.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 08:12:14 AM »
Nobody bit when I posted this FREEBIE back in June....but it is still here if anyone wants it.

'Haynes Manual for CB350 and CB500 Fours up for grabs.......it is 'as new' as I didn't keep my CB500 for long.

Just pay for the postage and make a suitable donation to the sohc Forum and it's yours'.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 09:22:03 AM »
That Haynes has been translated in German, Dutch and maybe other languages. As far as the CB500 it is useful for the UK models, not for the CB500K2 GENERAL EXPORT: too many differences.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 10:04:56 AM »
Why don't you bring something useful to the party DR ... same old same old ... Its SOHC.co.uk BTW
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 12:00:28 PM »
Why don't you bring something useful to the party DR ... same old same old ... Its SOHC.co.uk BTW
Why the Brits didn't forbid Japanese bikes to enter their market, remains a miracle to me. ;)
Ash, first, you can-not-image the frustrations we have had all those years the Haynes manual was the only available. Nothing seemed to match a 100%. It drove us crazy.
Now that all models surface anywhere, I thought it good to warn K2 owners to stick to the original Honda Shop Manual. It is free available, in a good resolution. So far my advice in general.
Now to the OP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mick own a 550K1? Is that model in the Haynes manual? Not in my Haynes which deals with the CB400F, CB550F and CB550K3. Over to you, Ash.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 12:24:08 PM by deltarider »

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 01:33:08 PM »
It is a tenuous connection to the original topic but back in the  mid 1960's a young engineering photographer named John Colley used to moonlight doing Commercial Photography mainly at weekends IIRC he worked at R.R back then in the engineering department somewhere. A few years later in around 1973/4 he did some new model launch photos at the Car Dealership where I worked in BoT.

In around 2014/5 when collecting a Merc from a customer I noticed the name J Colley on the Job Card, I had not seen him since around 1973/4 so I asked him if he used to be a photographer at RR Derby, it was the same John Colley. He was not fully retired, he has a website if you google him.http://www.johncolley.com/

I had a really interesting chat with him, he went on to tell me he went self employed after winning a lucrative  contract to photograph for the Haynes manuals in the UK. Judging by his nice rural house he clearly had done well for himself. He went on to tell me that when Haynes was bought out they dumbed down on the quality & detail as part of the cost cutting drive. By this time he was well known in the right circles so stopped the Haynes work, he has clearly done quite well for himself.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Mick550

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 05:30:03 PM »
Cheers all. I’ll be adding the Haynes to my Christmas list... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal