Author Topic: Bonhams Auction Stafford  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Bonhams Auction Stafford
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2023, 12:49:44 AM »
You are correct in saying there is paint around the studs. Around the drain hole as well IIRC.

Whatever the finish is on the back, might be zinc sprayed for instance, underneath appears to be bare steel. I seem to remember that Duraglit took the finish off as well, remember that stuff?

That was genuine 323 UK version pipes not the 374 version with the writing on the back.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2023, 08:12:28 AM »
You are correct in saying there is paint around the studs. Around the drain hole as well IIRC.

Whatever the finish is on the back, might be zinc sprayed for instance, underneath appears to be bare steel. I seem to remember that Duraglit took the finish off as well, remember that stuff?

That was genuine 323 UK version pipes not the 374 version with the writing on the back.

Mine are 374's but I had a set of decent original 323's that came off a low miler 500K0 that I sold to my mate Jim. They were deffo chrome plated on the back. I don't think zinc plating would have come into it either because the two processes just don't mix. Having said that, I have always wondered if you could brush plate areas of chrome on used parts to protect areas that have had the chrome removed because of corrosion or peeling on areas are not seen when mounted on the bike.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2023, 08:29:13 AM »
I think it was aluminium paint, as in real aluminium content within the liquid, presumably very fine powder to be held in solution.

Zinc would have heat problems and gives off fumes when over temp. Always amuses me when they "upcycle" something galvanised on these trendy programs, making a bbq out of something heavily zinc coated. Not particularly good to be breathing that stuff while cooking your food  :-[

My grandad had pots of real aluminium paint, and painted anything with it, Nan was lucky to escape the silvery onslaught  :D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2023, 08:42:05 AM »
I think it was aluminium paint, as in real aluminium content within the liquid, presumably very fine powder to be held in solution.

Zinc would have heat problems and gives off fumes when over temp. Always amuses me when they "upcycle" something galvanised on these trendy programs, making a bbq out of something heavily zinc coated. Not particularly good to be breathing that stuff while cooking your food  :-[

My grandad had pots of real aluminium paint, and painted anything with it, Nan was lucky to escape the silvery onslaught  :D

So are you saying the rear of the silencer was painted silver Nigel or just the areas like the mounting studs or drain holes? I did have a tin of 'Galvofroid' (or similar name) an old school electrician gave me that he used to use on rethreaded gas pipes.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2023, 09:14:09 AM »
I don’t know for certain Ash, but all the items I've seen appear to be consistent in this respect.

It seems to be used not as replacement in total but as ad-hoc coverage when chroming hasn't fully been brought to perfect coverage and mostly on less seen parts. Almost like a production quality control "catch all finish" to avoid scrapping/ rechrome operation.

Often seen on underside of items like rear brake pedal on the foot plate pressing, with the virtual cavity that produces.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2023, 09:25:41 AM »
Galvafroid is great stuff and is effectively cold galvanising to bare steel. Have some parts painted years ago and still rust free....Still have a few tins  ;)
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
Never considered alloy paint, yeah that would make sense. I do know it rubbed off quite easily, underneath was a dull silver finish, maybe a really thin nickel plate. The 2 sides were like chalk and cheese, the inside was really dull, the outside was really bright decorative chrome as it was called. The inside rusted far easier than the outside but then again most people polished the outside, whereas the inside was normally left alone and of course was more subject to stone strikes etc.

I have 2 original 323 exhaust upstairs, however I painted both of them with zinc paint on the inside in order to try and avoid the rusting problem. It stayed on really well and both exhausts look really well, keep thinking I'll sell them but then I think I may use them at some point.

This is one, you can see the zinc paint around the balance tube.

And both.

Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal