Author Topic: New Tires are better than old tires!!  (Read 431 times)

Online Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
New Tires are better than old tires!!
« on: August 17, 2023, 04:09:11 PM »
This morning I rode over to JPR Motorcycles https://www.jamespackwoodracing.co.uk to have a new set of Dunlop K82s mounted.  The old K82s (2018) had like-new tread depth but the sidewalls had spider-web cracks and the rubber was very hard so they definitely needed replacing.  Riding back there was a noticeable improvement in how the bike felt at the same tire pressure.  I was most surprised in that on the ride to the shop, the bike tramlined quite a bit on sections of road with grooving.  On the way back, with the new tires, it was literally unnoticeable.  Having rubber that can flex rather than rubber that feels like wood makes a big difference!!  Very pleased with the tires and James, the owner of JPR, who did the work while I waited - about an hour.   

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New Tires are better than old tires!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 04:19:40 PM »
Yes, Ive noticed that a lot on the past when going from old (due to age) tyres and new. When I bought my last 400, she was fitted with brand new Pirelli City Demons, they were the worse tyres I've ever had for tracking on the lines on the roads, they were positively lethal, I soon ditched them. What with them and the Hagon shocks that were fitted, which were soooooo stiff, I very often almost ended up on ditches, it was like riding on bloody ball bearings.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 06:31:47 PM »
I've been using K82's for a few years now. In general I find them more than suitable for my riding style. Just a couple of hours ago, returned to Suffolk after spending 3 nights in West Sussex with no problems. But, the rear tyre is very susceptible to "tram lining" once the centre of the tread starts to wear into a more flat profile, maybe I should accelerate harder out of corners!! Might be tempted to try Avon Roadriders next time, they are a dream on my little GB250 Clubman.

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 09:08:33 PM »
I just ordered a set of BT46's last night, to replace the Metzeler Perfects (11 and 77) I put on my 400 myself in 2008 :o There is still some profile on them, and no cracks, but I expect the handling will improve dramatically. The Bridgestone are totally new to me, but I've heard nothing but good reviews from other CB riders in our club. This weekend I'll do a goodby ride with the old tyres to attend a classic meeting some 200 km away, I'll try to take some nice pics there too :D

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 10:56:14 PM »
I like the look of the Firestone vintage motorcycle tyres, but are they worth the biggish price? :-\
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal