Author Topic: CB 550k3 Electrical problems  (Read 530 times)

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB 550k3 Electrical problems
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:58:59 AM »
Hi
As I mentioned in an earlier post whilst turning left onto my drive , the bike cut out and it all went dead.
I have just managed to get time to start investigating, the battery was only giving out 7 volts, so I have changed that and I have checked all of the fuses none were blown and I now have just over 12 volts at the main fuse, but nothing at either the headlight or taillight fuses.
When this happened about 5 years ago it was the ignition switch, so I have disconnected the switch and inserted some jumpers into the wiring harness plug for the ignition switch, no difference. I have also ensured the kill switch is not in the off position,  I have tried the lights, indicators and horn, nothing.
Before I start stripping the wiring harness to look for a short, can anyone give me an idea of where else I can check, or indeed has anyone had the same problem?

Many thanks
Dave

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB 550k3 Electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
Just a long shot - I'm not familiar with the 550 fuse box layout on my 400 I found that the wires on the back of the fuse box had become detached - it was a new aftermarket fuse box.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 11:34:43 AM »
Fuse box first, multi black connection in loom second.

Do a series of voltage checks
Ign OFF
1 battery voltage
2 battery neg to red connector at fusebox
3 follow on to red connectors up to ign switch
Ign ON kill OFF
4 battery neg to all the blacks you can find
5 follow on to other side of any switches in on position

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 04:57:02 PM »
If the fuse box doesn't turn out to be the problem, check around the headstock. Because the loom has to go around this it can end up breaking wires inside the loom, especially if the loom has been routed wrong in the past. Check the PDI instructions for the 550 as there is a wiring layout showing the route all the wires and cables should follow. Always follow that diagram, makes life a lot easier on wires and cables when you do. 

If all the loom covering is broken around the headstock it's likely there could be internal damage as well.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm hopefully going to get some time to look at it today.
Oddjob, did you mean look at the PDF, not PDI, if you did mean PDI what is it please?

Thanks
Dave

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 10:50:30 AM »
They are listed in Aladdin's Cave it is PDI.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 11:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm hopefully going to get some time to look at it today.
Oddjob, did you mean look at the PDF, not PDI, if you did mean PDI what is it please?

Thanks
Dave

PDI stands for Pre Delivery Instructions  given to dealers for final assembly of bikes out of the crate.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 07:11:38 AM »

Thanks
Dave

PDI stands for Pre Delivery Instructions  given to dealers for final assembly of bikes out of the crate.

Seem to remember PDI as Pre Delivery Inspection, done before customer collects new motorcycle.

Assembly set up instructions were inside the crate cover.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho, it's been over 40 years since I've assembled new bikes from crates.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 08:00:42 AM by Skoti »
Skoti

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 02:19:02 PM »
Yes Honda gave both build instructions and pdi instructions, frequently found in the "Blue Book"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal