Author Topic: Ignition Remaining On  (Read 441 times)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Ignition Remaining On
« on: August 22, 2023, 03:19:20 PM »
Just went for a run. Stopped for fuel and the bike (750K6) wouldn't switch off, even with the key removed! With the key switched to off, the console lights stay on (ignition red and neutral green) and the headlamp is on, when switched to ignition, the sidelight in the headlamp also comes on. So something is going through the key switch. Switching round to the next notch has no different results.

I'm home now and taken the earth wire off the battery negative, to stop it running the battery down. .

Any ideas, before I dig deeper? The only unusual event was going over a sleeping policeman a little hard on the way into the petrol station. Otherwise, the bike ran great.

I suspect a dicey key switch. The only other thought is, a few months ago, I changed my right side handlebar switchgear. That all works fine (light switch, starter button and kill switch all work). But, could I have disturbed a particular connection within the headlamp bowl?

Appreciate input! 👍
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 03:25:01 PM by Martin6 »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Remaining On
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 03:24:49 PM »
Ignition switch contacts might have fell apart inside?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »
Check your fuse box as well. Not well known but possible to start the bike with no keys just by joining fuses. It was why I fitted 2 ignition locks on my bike, one kills the fuse box entirely until you switch it to park.

Most likely to be something broken inside the ignition switch though, thankfully they are not hard to take apart
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 05:09:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Decided to check the switch first. Found the problem. The red wire has had a previous repair. There was a tail on the solder joint that had got detached and trapped and was joining the black terminal to the red. It blew off, once I'd spotted it. The solder joint still looks good and solid. Quick test and all is well, but I'll keep it in mind if I start getting any issues.

👍

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal