Author Topic: Oil temp gauge dipstick  (Read 604 times)

Offline Mcraig1982

• View Profile
Oil temp gauge dipstick
« on: August 29, 2023, 08:42:42 PM »
Anyone know where I can find one for a 76 500?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil temp gauge dipstick
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 11:55:49 PM »
Anyone know where I can find one for a 76 500?

Never seen one  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 12:04:51 AM »
Ocasionaly seen on ebay US but not that often anymore

Offline Mcraig1982

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 07:44:48 AM »
Anyone know the thread dimensions? 24 x 3.0?

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 08:21:56 AM »
Do a search for RR oil temp gauges. (Made in Germany) They do hundreds so may do one suitable.
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 09:04:34 AM »
The CB500 happens to be thermally very healthy. A temp gauge in that location doesn't make much sense and is dangerous. It's a gadget.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 02:41:55 PM »
The CB500 happens to be thermally very healthy. A temp gauge in that location doesn't make much sense and is dangerous. It's a gadget.

It's no more dangerous than the normal dipstick, it doesn't move or anything. It's just a metal probe with a gauge on the outside of the engine, what's dangerous about that. And any information about what's going on inside an engine should be welcome.

If a little rod popped out of it and tapped your leg when it got too hot that would be ideal  ;D ;D ;D

There used to ones that fitted on the end cap of the lower oil gallery, normally oil pressure but a temp would also work there. Now that's NOT an ideal location IMO and is slightly dangerous, far too prone to getting hit IMO
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 03:46:41 PM »
When I began riding Fours in the late seventies, some would have extra gauges as shown below. That brand was Racimex, but I have seen similar products which had both the names VDO and Honda in their dials. I do not know whether these were genuine Honda approved products or counterfeit. They looked very plastic and I’ve not seen many of them. From an esthetic point of view one can say that the two gauges ‘echo’ somewhat the original layout (speedo and tacho). Good thing was that they were in the view of the rider. Dipstick thermometers are not and I consider them outright dangerous. Sooner or later riders will be tempted to look down whilst riding. On a twowheeler it takes very, very little distraction to find yourself in the lane of oncomers.
Gauges just registrate, but do not warn. Best way would be an audible alarm as in aviation and shipping. On a motorcycle such an alarm is hard to achieve as we wear helmets. So we’ll have to settle with visual alarms. Basically, three leds would be sufficient. Blue would indicate that the oil has not reached its working temperature (yet). All extinct would mean: working temperature reached. Yellow would tell us we are approaching limits and red would inform us that the oil is too hot. Such led thingies already exist for voltage. They're so small, they can be hidden in between the speedo and the tacho without spoiling the looks of your classic.
Honda has always been praised for design in safety/ergonomics. A temp dipstick would turn Soichiro Honda in his grave.
Maybe there's some member here who could design the led idea. Somewhere in my archives I have which resistance in a common VDO brass sender relates to which temperature.
One could argue over the settings, but it could be something like:
 Led indicates:
Blue:  < 80o C
All extinct: 80o – 110o     
Yellow: 110o – 130o
Red:   > 130o

As far as the CB500 no worries. I remember a German who would ride his to the limit. He never reached a higher oil temp than 130o C. BTW, that's the oil temperature I have often seen on the VDO gauge in the old aircooled VW transporters we used in the 70s.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 04:57:20 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 08:27:13 PM »
I doubt you could read it whilst riding TBH. Maybe they'd have at look stuck at a junction but TBH I doubt they'd do that. Might as well wait until your stopped and able to read it at leisure.

You must bear in mind these were made during the 70s, we have had 50 years of progress since then. A digital one is more likely these days or even just a sender unit to a gauge more in the eyeline.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal