Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Batterie charging

(1/4) > >>

marroinia:
Hi every one,

I had problems with my starter motor that didn't want to spin. Bike runs great, kick starter works fine, starter relay clicks ok, starter motor ok , bushes ok. I finally find out the 3 years old Yuasa battery is passing away. I have to ride more often and longer.

As I don't want to kill another battery, I would like to use my little battery charger/maintainer while my garage queen is sleeping, and I would like to plug it on a timer so the thing charges 15/30min per week, on a preventive use.

So here is my question: Can I leave the battery connected to the bike while charging/maintaining? I don't want to screw/unscrew the battery when going for a ride.

Johnny4428:
Hello! A proper battery optimiser is designed to be left on for extended periods of lay-up. I have one one my touring bike in the winter. Other batteries I take off the bikes and charge up once a month, seems to work fine.

K2-K6:
A connection can be permanently mounted to battery terminals and used easily to plug charger into bike, like this one
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394610252534 and just leave the end under the sear when not used.

Connect positive battery to shielded terminal to avoid contact when not in use, or use a different type connector with both terminals covered.

marroinia:
thank you guys, so I won't burn anything if battery is left connected, I use a Al300pro, it seems to lower the current when battery is charged. It  goes 300mA max during charging.

Athame57:
After what happened to my flat mate I prefer to plain take out the battery if a bike is to stand there a long time. Her CBX550 shared a garage with her Yamaha 125 dirt bike that did sparky things one night and burned the place down with it's hapless mechanical residents.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version