Author Topic: Anyone noticed that DK now selling parts vapour blasted?  (Read 526 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone noticed that DK now selling parts vapour blasted?
« on: September 02, 2023, 09:03:26 PM »
Anyone noticed that DK now selling quite a few parts vapour blasted ... Like this 400F rear hub?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354898756649

But it's been blasted without stripping out the bearings etc, which sounds dodgy to me.
Plus it's probably doubled the price they would normlly sell a similar item for, not blasted.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone noticed that DK now selling parts vapour blasted?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 09:17:50 PM »
Plus, when you take it apart there are loads of areas not vapour blasted. Waste of time and not a good idea IMO.

Handy for DK though to see damage before sending. Should be totally dismantled though before doing that.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 11:21:49 PM »
Anyone noticed that DK now selling quite a few parts vapour blasted ... Like this 400F rear hub?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354898756649

But it's been blasted without stripping out the bearings etc, which sounds dodgy to me.
Plus it's probably doubled the price they would normlly sell a similar item for, not blasted.

Just a selling technique but, at least you can inspect to see if the hub liner has any cracks  ;) 

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 08:48:50 AM »
If they didn't take it apart, there will be blast medium all over the inside. Hope no one fits it without dismantling....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 10:50:11 PM »
It has got that rare chain guard the CB400F came with originally though. You could get one from DSS spares like that but at a price that probably put most people off. The one in the image here looks bashed about enough to have me wonder if it has been retro fitted?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:41:20 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 11:55:00 PM »
It has got that rare chain guard the CB400F came with originally though. You could get one from DSS spares like that but at a price that probably put most people off. The one in the image here looks bashed about enough to have me wonder if it has been retro fitted?

Pretty sure its original just beaten up. Very hard to restore that guard as it was a very dark olive drab passivate zinc plate finish as far as I can tell.

I am just restoring one at the moment (from a 600 mile only bike but corroded a bit). Trying to get a decent finish without de-rivetting it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:57:52 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 07:24:46 AM »
The chainguard just looks like it's  battered from incidentally being badly stored, and looks like someone has has a go at straightening with a pair of waterproof plyers.

The rivet on original aren't difficult to do Ash, you just need a "snap" set to match the dome so you can hit the other end and splurg it over. It was initial knowledge when I started apprenticeship, each of us made a toolbox with a little platoon of rivets marching around the joints to hold it all together  ;D

If it's not a blind hole (rivet sticks out the back where its hammered) then much simpler to remove and refinish separately I'd have thought. Could make a snap easily with the lathe to get right size. Doesn't have to be that tough for just four rivet, brass would do it to avoid any residual damage to rivet surface finish.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal