Author Topic: Awkward parts to Zinc plate / Yellow chromate passivate problems  (Read 681 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Awkward parts to Zinc plate / Yellow chromate passivate problems
« on: September 12, 2023, 08:25:24 PM »
Recently I have heard bad reports from Trigger and Hondasan on here about front hydraulic brake switches on Honda 4's ... I believe pattern parts .. not sure... which cause excessive front brake sponginess.

So I decided to refubish my originals. I sealed off the inlet port and connectors using adhesive lined heat-shrink and stripped  the old plating then DIY re-plated BZP. This worked really well but the yellow chromate dip was very patchy. This is the toxic chromate type, which I bough about ten years ago but must admit I got the same poor results when it was new. I don't think DIY plating companies now supply this because of its chromic acid content. Has anyone used the modern alternatives that the likes of Gateros and YouPlate supply? I will contact Gateros anyway and ask for advice on the old gold passivate they used to sell. The other stuff for the bluish passivate works fine and was purchased at the same times as the gold, again it's the toxic content type.

More successful was the front solid brake line. Honda now supply the --317-- part with olive drab finish but the  finish was BZP originally. I got a pattern one of these from Honda Classics (Roger Etcell) and nothing chemical I have in my arsenal would remove the coating on the pipe (i.e. 'proper' paint stripper, acid zinc remover or any solvents). I reckon it may be an olive drab finish coated with some kind of 2k clear coat that is hydraulic fluid resistant. Anyway I chemically stripped the BZP fittings and removed the olive finish mechanically. I then re-plated everything BZP and it now looks like the original Honda part supplied when the bikes were new.
Before I dipped it in anything,  I sealed the pipe bore with suitable plastic plugs I made up to stop anything corrosive getting inside of the pipe.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:28:37 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Awkward parts to Zinc plate / Yellow chromate passivate problems
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 09:31:50 PM »
Nice finish Ash - normal perfectionist treatment!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 06:15:53 AM »
 " More successful was the front solid brake line. Honda now supply the --317-- part with olive drab finish but the  finish was BZP originally. I got a pattern one of these from Honda Classics (Roger Etcell) and nothing chemical I have in my arsenal would remove the coating on the pipe (i.e. 'proper' paint stripper, acid zinc remover or any solvents). I reckon it may be an olive drab finish coated with some kind of 2k clear coat that is hydraulic fluid resistant. Anyway I chemically stripped the BZP fittings and removed the olive finish mechanically. I then re-plated everything BZP and it now looks like the original Honda part supplied when the bikes were new."

It looks like this Ash http://intl-innotek.com/products/coatings-industry-coatings/architectural-coatings/solvent-based-pvf-coil-coatings/ as I understand it, a PVF coating that's often seen used on car brake lines in the olive drab finish for steel original fit pipes.

Theres a chart on that link showing resistance to various acid etc.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 12:03:31 AM »

It looks like this Ash http://intl-innotek.com/products/coatings-industry-coatings/architectural-coatings/solvent-based-pvf-coil-coatings/ as I understand it, a PVF coating that's often seen used on car brake lines in the olive drab finish for steel original fit pipes.

Theres a chart on that link showing resistance to various acid etc.

Interesting That sounds like the finish Nigel. I suppose that finish is far superior in terms of corrosion resistance but doesn't look good in terms of originality. It's certainly pretty tenacious to remove.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal