Author Topic: My first project - 1974 CB360 K0  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
My first project - 1974 CB360 K0
« on: September 18, 2023, 10:39:51 PM »
Hoping for some thoughts from you who know about these bikes, I’m looking for something for my first project, does this look ok, original enough or a bit of a lost cause?

I’m in no rush to complete. I have a couple of other bikes to ride, so I can take my time and learn as I go.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:45:23 PM by Craizeehair »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Any good for a first project?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 11:20:38 PM »
That seems a nice project. It's virtually all original but if you want to mint it, chrome and paint is the big cost
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 11:30:34 PM »
The most unloved twin on the uk market, parts are rare and if not looked after cams sieze, nice reasonable ride but imho will never be worth a lot

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 11:49:23 PM »
Thanks for the input, I’m not sure I want to make it minty, or even have the ability yet but it’s more to get me going as a first strip down and restoration attempt, to what level I’m not sure?

Noted on the parts and maintenance.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 12:59:55 AM »
Looks reasonable at a glance though I am not familiar with the model - as has been said some parts might be difficult to find - my first project was a 400 I chose that as there are plenty of new & used parts to be had so you can do it cheaply (ish) or expensive your choice.

When it is time to sell mine it will make a loss on what I spent but for me it was all about the build & learning after decades of not working on bikes.

There is a market for 400's it will sell  if it has to go - I did it for the fun, challenge, heartache and joy when I first rode it. As you will know from watching TV most do it as a loss making  hobby. We call them money pits for a reason.

As well as the initial purchase price do not forget you might need some tools & equipment to work on it comfortably if you do not already have a bike ramp. You will no doubt have thought about these things so I might be stating the obvious - lastly sticking to a budget is virtually impossible as there is always the unexpected problem just around the next corner.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 01:34:59 AM »
Pretty looking bike but much maligned because of the fragility of its top end and the un-necessary gimmicky 6th gear.. The cam runs in the alloy head so if it picks up and scores the journals you are talking a replacement  head as well as cam and probably rockers. Decent used cams are very rare as are the cylinder heads with  decent bearing surfaces, Acres of chrome so very expensive bike to rechrome.
So a bit of a gamble really. The problem stems probably from the fact that you can't access the centrifugal oil filter without removing the exhaust and clutch cover, so cleaning the filter was probably often skipped. The earlier K models had a removable plate to gain access to the oil filter plus they had replaceable cam bearing covers. Shares quite a few parts with the 400/4 ..like forks and wheels/brakes.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 05:35:40 AM »
See if you can do a video call and listen for rattles etc.
Dont think there are many special tools, biggest cost would be exhausts which are pretty much impossible to find.
Exactly same as the learner 250 G5 except for bore size as i remember, one problem a member here had recently was carb diaphram which have to be getting old and fragile, would be worth searching dave silver by model to get an idea of what is available

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 06:02:59 AM »
My advise is just one word.

Don’t
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 07:25:27 AM »

Don’t

Did you actually own one Ken? Or was it your experience in the workshop at Queenies of them?

Funnily enough, a few years back,  I had a blue G5 250  with only 2K genuine  miles that I pulled out from a damp shed basically got it for free... ..... Long gone now and the buyer did an awesome job restoring it  but when I brought it home and  cleaned it up my,  kids said it was one of the best looking bikes of all of the ones I have  ;D and wanted me to keep it ! It was a very late one, with the cam chain tensioner sorted out at the factory (another early Achilles Heel point  :( )  .....   pics attached are 'as I found' and after the  buyer restored it.

Plus the 360 version may be a lot less gutless than the more maligned 250. I think if the cam and head were OK on this it would be a decent project but there's the rub .. . Also pretty sure that Brituro amazingly do repro silencers (or they did) for that model. Another plus is that they are all painted in metallic, not candy paint,  so cheaper to repaint and Piki does excellent tank stripes. The guy at Summerbud (Nick? ) recently did some marathon run on a 360 version one for a charity event

On the CJ that replaced it they lengthened the forks and swinging arm, ditched the electric start and 6th gear and got rid of lots of the chromed bits. Now that model really is a Marmite bike with unobtanium 2 into 1 exhaust system as standard. Charlie at Oxford classics had  one last year that some bloke had fitted NOS parts inc exhaust seat etc but it had gained a 'patina' in storage, which put me off recommending it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 07:53:04 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 07:49:27 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, they are all very much appreciated. I don’t think that I will be rushing into this one.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 07:56:25 AM »
Pretty looking bike but much maligned because of the fragility of its top end and the un-necessary gimmicky 6th gear.. The cam runs in the alloy head so if it picks up and scores the journals you are talking a replacement  head as well as cam and probably rockers. Decent used cams are very rare as are the cylinder heads with  decent bearing surfaces, Acres of chrome so very expensive bike to rechrome.
So a bit of a gamble really. The problem stems probably from the fact that you can't access the centrifugal oil filter without removing the exhaust and clutch cover, so cleaning the filter was probably often skipped. The earlier K models had a removable plate to gain access to the oil filter plus they had replaceable cam bearing covers. Shares quite a few parts with the 400/4 ..like forks and wheels/brakes.

I agree with you Ash, a good looking bike from that era. I like the USA spec short rear mudguard and having a good drum front brake a little different from others to own as well as being good brakes.
Of course there's risk in buying anything old in regard to internal wear, depends on the attitude to what you could waste if you bought it too. Maybe an attractive offer to the dealer could swing that bias for purchasing it as if would cap the loss, if it's an internal disaster, to that entry price. Just another way to look at it.

The oil filter, I hold a differing view on this to maybe a conventional analysis. The filter can only ever filter out bits that have come off into the flow from oil failure of some description. Concentrate on oil specification and condition and the problem usually won't occur. Running a few notable poor camshaft reputation engines, I make every effort to stop it happening primarily and with good results.  That clearly can't account for previous history here, but believe there's a decent route in discussion to run one from now in avoiding pitfalls.

Online Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 08:48:02 AM »
I'd buy that if the engine is in the condition the seller states it is.

Just service it and clean it up, don't fix stuff unless it's broken, then run it with it's lovely patina looks.

For £1495 it's cheaper than a new Chinese scooter.

However if you're looking for something to fully restore avoid this, because as Bryan points out parts could be rare and expensive.  You'll spend way more than it's worth and then find it's not all that re-sellable

BTW
my brother bought a new CB360G5 back in days, a much underrated bike IMHO.

good luck

Skoti

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 01:34:04 PM »

Don’t

Did you actually own one Ken? Or was it your experience in the workshop at Queenies of them?

Funnily enough, a few years back,  I had a blue G5 250  with only 2K genuine  miles that I pulled out from a damp shed basically got it for free... ..... Long gone now and the buyer did an awesome job restoring it  but when I brought it home and  cleaned it up my,  kids said it was one of the best looking bikes of all of the ones I have  ;D and wanted me to keep it ! It was a very late one, with the cam chain tensioner sorted out at the factory (another early Achilles Heel point  :( )  .....   pics attached are 'as I found' and after the  buyer restored it.

Plus the 360 version may be a lot less gutless than the more maligned 250. I think if the cam and head were OK on this it would be a decent project but there's the rub .. . Also pretty sure that Brituro amazingly do repro silencers (or they did) for that model. Another plus is that they are all painted in metallic, not candy paint,  so cheaper to repaint and Piki does excellent tank stripes. The guy at Summerbud (Nick? ) recently did some marathon run on a 360 version one for a charity event

On the CJ that replaced it they lengthened the forks and swinging arm, ditched the electric start and 6th gear and got rid of lots of the chromed bits. Now that model really is a Marmite bike with unobtanium 2 into 1 exhaust system as standard. Charlie at Oxford classics had  one last year that some bloke had fitted NOS parts inc exhaust seat etc but it had gained a 'patina' in storage, which put me off recommending it.

I did a couple of foreigners on them and the test rides were eventful. Slow, not as slow as the CJ version but so slow it just put me off. TBH it's not a bad looking bike but god it's slow. I like something that goes when you twist the throttle and this ain't it.

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2023, 12:16:25 PM »

Don’t

I did a couple of foreigners on them and the test rides were eventful. Slow, not as slow as the CJ version but so slow it just put me off. TBH it's not a bad looking bike but god it's slow. I like something that goes when you twist the throttle and this ain't it.

You must have had a dud!.   I have just bought one.  I was really surprised how torquey it is.  Very happy to tool around on this bike and I'm used to something rather bigger.

Really pleased with it.  Just spending a few bob on it to tidy it up.

CB750 K1 1971 Wisconsin, USA
Suzuki GT550 J 1972 Michigan USA
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CBX1000 A 1980 (European Direct Sales)
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »
One might have been a dud but both? Maybe our definitions of slow are different, when I was testing these it was back in the days of my production racing and that sort of skews your views on speed I'd imagine. Oddly I found the 250N a much better bike. The 400N even more so.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal