Author Topic: A very lucky escape (financially)  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
A very lucky escape (financially)
« on: October 01, 2023, 08:11:52 AM »
In February I shipped my GL1500SE down to the dealers in Aberdeen - the weather was not brilliant and I wanted the bike to arrive in a clean condition.  This was in the deal for my new Forza 350 which wouldn't arrive for a while but was on order.  The Forza arrived in May and I have now done over 3000 miles on it - it's brilliant.  On the 5th September, the dealers - established nearly 20 years ago went into administration!  Everything is now in the hands of the receivers to be auctioned off - including the Wing.
Had this happened during the time before the Forza arrived and after the Wing was delivered to them, I would be minus one valuable Wing and without a Forza, just waiting - like all creditors for a few pence in the pound - maybe even nothing.

These are difficult times I know and I do feel very sorry for the excellent staff - they have lost far more than I could potentially have done and I could have afforded the hit without going under.

In future I wouldn't be as careless as I was over that deal!

Ian

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: A very lucky escape (financially)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 09:52:24 AM »
Ian, that was lucky and I do feel for the company.
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »
Yes Matt, lucky indeed.
A few of the 45 bikes are listed as damaged - not sure if that means customers bikes awaiting repair or trade-ins, sincerely hope it's not the former.  Hell of a lot of stuff up for grabs - new helmets, clothing, spares, ramps, office furniture etc as well as the bikes.  If anyone is interested I have been sent details but would prefer a PM to share details - all seems a bit like vultures picking over a carcass but someone will lose and others might benefit.

Ian

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
In February I shipped my GL1500SE down to the dealers in Aberdeen - the weather was not brilliant and I wanted the bike to arrive in a clean condition.  This was in the deal for my new Forza 350 which wouldn't arrive for a while but was on order.  The Forza arrived in May and I have now done over 3000 miles on it - it's brilliant.  On the 5th September, the dealers - established nearly 20 years ago went into administration!  Everything is now in the hands of the receivers to be auctioned off - including the Wing.
Had this happened during the time before the Forza arrived and after the Wing was delivered to them, I would be minus one valuable Wing and without a Forza, just waiting - like all creditors for a few pence in the pound - maybe even nothing.

These are difficult times I know and I do feel very sorry for the excellent staff - they have lost far more than I could potentially have done and I could have afforded the hit without going under.

In future I wouldn't be as careless as I was over that deal!

Ian
You could easy been a victim there Ian!

🥵🥵 Going to buy it back? 😜
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 10:47:36 AM »
Johnny,
No, definitely not interested in buying it back - even at a knock-down price.  We thoroughly enjoyed Wings for 35 years and well over 100,000 miles, so been there, done that and now use the T shirt for polishing the Forza as it won't fit anymore!  Time to move on.  One thing I do know is that someone will get a very good Wing, whatever the price.

Ian

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 10:55:14 AM »
That remided me of an incident involving the Official Receiver.

Back in the 1960's my late Father worked as General Manager for a branch of Brocklehurst Motors in Derby. Late one afternoon he received a phone call from the Official Receiver (OR) to the effect that the firm was in Administration with most of the branches ceasing trading and closing that day. As the Derby Branch was a very profitable one they retained my father to continue in his role but working directly for the OR.

There were a couple of vehicles that had been paid for by customers of the old firm not due for delivery until that weekend. The customers were contacted that evening by my Father to collect their vehicles that night with Insurance Cover Notes hastily written out & finance documents drawn up.

A few days later the OR visited the Derby Branch to have a meeting with my Father regarding banking arrangement as well as stock checks & an audit. The OR soon realised what my father had done & was not best pleased but undersood his motive. He reprimanded my Father about his conduct - he continued to work for the OR for about ten months during that time the Derby Branch returned a substantial profit towards creditors.

The Derby Branch was sold as a going concern to the late Harry Cressman who was the then Chairman of Bristol Street Motors Ltd. Any Brummies here will remember Harry as the one time owner of Aston Villa.

On the sale of the Derby Branch the OR who was not allowed to pay my Father a bonus could do a gift - he gave him a Gold Swiss Watch as a thank you. My Father went on to continue managing the Derby Branch as a Director for a couple of years.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/former-aston-villa-director-harry-3957575
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »
Interesting story Ted. And admirable loyalty to customers by your late father.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 12:31:10 PM »
You had a very lucky escape. Ecosse Motorcycles also had a branch in Dundee which went into administration at the same time. The owner stored several of his own bike collection in the workshop and they mysteriously disappeared a couple of days before the shit hit the fan! The announcement was made on Facebook saying that he was taking early retirement,  at the very bottom of the post saying any enquiries contact .... and giving the administrator's details.
Lots of people have lost deposits or even full payments for bikes. The owner had better hope that none of them know where he lives! 🤬
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 02:28:34 PM »
I'm glad you slipped through the new Ian! I remember a fellow dispatch rider who took a bike into a shop for a repair, the mechanic took it for a test run and crashed in a big way. It turns out they weren't liable and his insurance didn't cover him for this, he was left out of pocket. I wonder if that is normal?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 02:35:26 PM »
Dear all past and present Ecosse customers

With immediate effect we would like to inform you that both Aberdeen and Dundee shops will close.

Martin has made the difficult decision to retire and would like to use this opportunity to thank all customers of Ecosse that we have enjoyed looking after over the past 18 years or so.

We go in the knowledge we have left lots of happy memories in the biking community in the North East of Scotland.

The closure of the company is being handled by CBW Recovery LLP and any enquiries should be directed to 020 7309 3805.

We'd also like to thank all of our suppliers who have supported us over the years.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 04:29:30 PM »
Yes, I saw that info that Martin had posted, which seemed at odds with the reality of the situation.  As you say Gareth, lots of people out of pocket, thankfully not me this time - selfish bugger!

Althame, a good friend of mine had a similar situation with a franchised BMW dealer near Grimsby with his K100 RT when he took it in for its very first service back in 1985.  For some reason the mechanic took it out for a test ride and threw it up the road - this was a virtually brand new bike and they only offered to repair it, not replace it.  Following legal advice, he reluctantly had it repaired.  On close inspection they hadn't replaced the damaged petrol tank, as the large dent was hidden by the fairing.
With steam coming out of his ears, they then bought the bike back at a crap price and sold him a new one at full book price.  If they are not liable for damage to a customers vehicle you are potentially  risking more than you would by the manufacturer refusing a warranty claim if you have done your own servicing.

Just one of the many reasons why I service my own vehicles. 

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 05:23:50 PM »
If the employee crashed it the firm are liable UNLESS the have it written in big letters on booking in, and i dont know of any insurance company that cover your bike in a traders hands

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 05:25:24 PM »
Quite a few years ago, a customer of mine (part of a car dealer group) had taken P/X vehicles in on the last day of July, for deliveries of new cars on 1st August (number plate letter change). This was quite common at the time, as it avoided taxing the outgoing vehicle for another month, money that would otherwise be lost. Quite a few dealerships (though not this one) would stay open after normal business hours, usually until just after midnight so that customers could drop their P/X off, have a bite of food etc. and then drive away their new car at one minute past midnight.

The General Manager of the branch and the sales team arrived at 6:00 in the morning to open up and position new cars for collection, only to find themselves locked out of the building and notices on the doors announcing the collapse of the business.

I knew the General Manager very well, and he assured me that he had no prior warning of any of this until arriving at work on the 1st! He too, lost his livelihood through it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal