Author Topic: Esso petrol contaminated with water or stale petrol  (Read 1473 times)

Offline hondacb750fourk6

• View Profile
Esso petrol contaminated with water or stale petrol
« on: October 07, 2023, 05:19:49 PM »
Hi anyone else on here had a problem using esso E5 super unleaded petrol I bought a classic car 3 weeks ago when I collected the car the car was driving lovley he had put 4 gallons of petrol in it then called into a esso petrol station in north wales filled it up with £50.17 worth of E5 super unleaded petrol then after about five miles the car started to backfire from the carburettors causing the car to loose power and coughing and spluttering coming from the twin carburettors and I noticed a bad smell of fumes coming into the car then the problem went away then it started again when I got onto the M54 casing the car to back fire and loss of power causing me to breakdown had to call the recovery breakdown to tow me back home I,ve done a check on a sample of petrol pouring it into a little plastic water boltle to see if it’s contaminated with water but no sighn of water then done a test like someone on YouTube poring a drop into a metal lid off a pedal bin and putting a match to it to see when the flames go out to see if there’s sighn of any moisture but no sighn of moisture but one thing I did notice a lot of black smoke coming off the petrol is this a sighn of stale petrol or it going off the one on YouTube was talking about the esso petrol he used in his car that messed all the jets up in the injection system and someone else told me this when I was in a euro car parts shop he used esso petrol said it messed up all the jets in the injection system so now I,ve got to drain all the petrol out of the tank as the cars not running right I,ve complained to esso customer service but are blaming the retailer where I bought the petrol from even thou it’s sighn posted with the esso logo on the petrol pumps so has anyone else had problems using esso petrol

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Esso petrol contaminated with water or stale petrol
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 05:37:44 PM »
Nope.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:48:44 PM »
No problem for me either.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »
I use Esso E5 in all of my classic bikes and our two cars, as there is an Esso station within a mile of our house.

No problems at all to date.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 06:21:03 PM »
I have had problems, not with Esso, but where a station had not cared for their tanks and the fuel had a lot of crap in it, and once where they knew they were closing down and dropped kerosene in to lift the last of the petrol

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
I use my local Esso garage, no problems to report with the bikes, car & generator
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 08:06:43 PM »
Imho you can have fuel issues with places that have low fuel turn over or very old storage tanks - not usually a brand issue.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 10:52:28 PM »
I haven't had a problem with Esso fuel but did have a big problem with BP super unleaded fuel. I filled up a new plastic 5litre container  (there was no crap in the container prior to filling it up). When I got home I poured half the fuel into a spotlessly clean alloy tank. The bike would not start and after a while I checked the fuel in the container. I contained water and a lot of debris. I called the petrol station and they didn't want to know so I posted a review and received replies from others who had the same problems at the same garage.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline hondacb750fourk6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 12:03:18 AM »
I had that same problem 2015 my Triumph Trident T160 1975 wouldn’t start one day during winter I told my friend in the triumph club to ask his other friend in the bike club he told my friend to tell me drain all the petrol from the tank and put fresh super unleaded petrol in it the bike started striate away as I always bought petrol from sainsburys and I,ve got the same problem esso don’t want to no they are saying take it up with Greenway even thou esso supply the petrol to greenway so far I,ve drained 8 litres from the car from the pipe that goes to the petrol pump haven’t found any water in it so far or dirt as I used a funnel with a filter in it to pour the petrol into containers as the person I got the car from told me there’s a lot of dirt in the petrol and told me the petrol is contaminated with water up north wales

Offline hondacb750fourk6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 12:09:40 AM »
I use my local Esso garage, no problems to report with the bikes, car & generator
That’s what that person on YouTube is saying there is kerosene in the petrol it shows him setting a light to it so perhaps that’s what’s in the petrol I bought from esso causing my car not to run right or the E5 petrol is contaminated with E10 petrol as that would cause my car not to run right

Offline DomP

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 12:54:37 AM »
I had that same problem 2015 my Triumph Trident T160 1975 wouldn’t start one day during winter I told my friend in the triumph club to ask his other friend in the bike club he told my friend to tell me drain all the petrol from the tank and put fresh super unleaded petrol in it the bike started striate away as I always bought petrol from sainsburys and I,ve got the same problem esso don’t want to no they are saying take it up with Greenway even thou esso supply the petrol to greenway so far I,ve drained 8 litres from the car from the pipe that goes to the petrol pump haven’t found any water in it so far or dirt as I used a funnel with a filter in it to pour the petrol into containers as the person I got the car from told me there’s a lot of dirt in the petrol and told me the petrol is contaminated with water up north wales

That's one very long sentence!
1975 XS650B
1976 CB550F1 current project
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 07:09:37 AM »
That’s what that person on YouTube is saying there is kerosene in the petrol it shows him setting a light to it so perhaps that’s what’s in the petrol I bought from esso causing my car not to run right or the E5 petrol is contaminated with E10 petrol as that would cause my car not to run right

Doubt you'd even notice if it did have E10 content.

Which car, engine and carbs are they.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2023, 09:24:05 AM »
Evidently 'Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99' is  ethanol free and they sell it at the Tesco garage closest to me.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong ... just read about it on another forum.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 09:58:01 AM »
the person I got the car from told me there’s a lot of dirt in the petrol and told me the petrol is contaminated with water up north wales

Or possibly crap in the tank of the car he sold you?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »
Quote from: AshimotoK0link=topic=29893.msg289814#msg289814 date=1696753445
Evidently 'Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99' is  ethanol free and they sell it at the Tesco garage closest to me.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong ... just read about it on another forum.
I have read similar though it's also dependent on the refinery source. Refineries in the North of the country it appears are Ethanol free in SUL in the south the SUL is E5.

Update This is not just Esso but She'll & BP.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 10:19:06 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal