Author Topic: Diameter of the carb where the air filter rubber clamps on?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Diameter of the carb where the air filter rubber clamps on?
« on: October 12, 2023, 01:35:42 PM »
Sorry to ask that question but my storage garage, where the bike stays, is a mile away and I'm hoping to get an answer without having to walk over there. ;)  So the outer diameter of the carb where the air filter rubber attaches is...???

I'm thinking of velocity stacks, despite all the evidence suggesting it's a bad idea.  If someone already knows of a specific stack that fits I'd appreciate the info.

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Diameter of the carb where the air filter rubber clamps on?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 03:55:02 PM »
34.85 and the ridge 35.73mm as a quick measurement

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 04:57:01 PM »
Thanks. 

My wife, who rides her own motorcycles was quite impressed when she rode the 400.  She expected it would hardly get out of its own way (she rides a Ducati Diavel) but came back grinning after a quick blast through the gears.  A few minutes ago when I told her I was thinking about putting velocity stacks on it, her response was, "Why?  Do you think it's running too good?" ;)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »
It's an interesting challenge to try and get optimization without airbox.  I feel many start off in the wrong direction with bigger main jets when it should begin with increased idle flow and judge it from there.

The std slides may ultimately need modifications (if you've a spare set) to get a more complete fuel gradient in place without the std box,, filter etc.

This is an relevant thread that could give you a lead http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=152916.0 if you wanted to more seriously consider a solution.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 08:03:08 AM »
Interesting relevant thread, thanks!  In doing some general curiosity-type searching it seems  that various pilot/main jet sizes and velocity stacks to fit these carbs are not easily available in the UK.  They are in the US which seems odd because the bike is not/was never popular there.  Go figure...

Offline Jan B

• SOHC Associate
  • Everything you can leave behind is a gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:13:50 AM »
CB500K1
CB750K2 [project]
BMW F800GS

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 09:42:28 AM »
Yes, those are really nice!  :)  Might be a set in my future...

Offline teenybop1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 12:56:34 PM »
Those brass ones look fantastic.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 02:56:23 PM »
On exhausts you had a nice rasp from copper/ brass tail pipes I guess inlets are the same 'sumat' to do with harmonics.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 09:07:22 AM »
On exhausts you had a nice rasp from copper/ brass tail pipes I guess inlets are the same 'sumat' to do with harmonics.
. Many moons ago, about 1969/70,  I bought a second hand CB250, the first of the 5 speed models. It was plagued with carb problems so I went to Read Titan in Leytonstone and purchased a pair of Amal concentrics, fitting kit, PLUS!, a nice pair of inlet bell mouths
. . This model Honda was one of the first to be equipped with a fairly loud exhaust as standard, but when the motor started to breathe properly above 7000RPM, those inlet stacks completely drowned out any other sounds. Naughty but Nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal