Author Topic: A small tip when replacing carb needles or moving the circlip  (Read 540 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
A small tip when replacing carb needles or moving the circlip
« on: October 13, 2023, 11:21:30 AM »
I have had to move the circlips to the central position 3 on my 500 carbs. I was able to remove the two screws at the base of the slider/plunger without the need to remove the plunger arm from the slider first. I just removed the bolt at the pivot end and slid out the the gubbins.

Many folk here will know how fiddly it is putting the two screws back in place with the arm still in place so thought I would share my tip here. As a former Tropical fish keeper I still have odd bits of Neoprene & Silicone air line pipe (5.5mm ish o/d) in my garage. plus an old bit of steel similar to a barbecue skewer.

The Silicone tubing I found best as it was easy to push the head of the screw into the pipe so you have a length of tubing that will easily reach the bottom of the slider. I then placed a metal rod that was a loose fit inside the pipe to give the pipe a little rigidity.

This enabled me to place the screws visually in line with the thread in the slider - by turning the pipe with my fingers it was very easy to screw them in with no fear of a crossed thread. When both were in place fully screwed down by just using the pipe I was able to easily nip them up with a JIS tool. The Silicone pipe is easily pulled off the screw head when it is done with.

This tip is for us amateurs not the former professional here.

.PXL_20231013_095540299 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:24:04 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: A small tip when replacing carb needles or moving the circlip
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 11:28:38 AM »
Or use a screwdriver with a magnetic tip. 😉
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 11:43:18 AM »

That was my first thought but none of my JIS ones are magnetic plus with the plunger in place it's not easy to get one of the pair in place due to the arm getting in the way - on my 400 I removed the arm as well this just seemed easier.

Back in 1967/8's I would take my spanners & screwdrivers to work and leave them on the 3.5 volts 20k amp DC buss bars on the Kellner-Solvay cell beds. Not easy to pull them off the Buzz Bars at the end of the shift - even worse if some joker had wet the floor with Brine Solution.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 12:40:25 PM »
That's a really good idea Ted. Nice lateral thinking there.

A few years ago I bought a Carhartt tool roll to hold little things like this all in one place. Now I know where to find them when needed instead of being left with other conventional stuff.

A friend during apprenticeship called these type adapted tools collectively "oicary & pokery" for doing fiddly things outside of normal toolage  :)

Stainless bicycle spokes, I've a few broken one's  ;D and stainless brick ties are really good for bending, filing into end shape etc, to help make a compliment of problem solvers.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 06:28:13 PM »
Magnetise the one in the tool kit. It's ideal. Also use the tee piece as it will get the tightest ones out without slipping out.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal