Author Topic: The 500 exhaust conundrum.  (Read 426 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
The 500 exhaust conundrum.
« on: October 14, 2023, 09:34:22 PM »
I need to start thinking seriously about an exhaust stystem for the 500 I'm minded to go for the Dekelvic system as it's not daft money plus it's stainless as well.
I like a longer silencer so the Mega looks good plus they do Black Ceramic for a bit extra not sure what it will look like in a couple of years.........but.

When these bikes were new in the 1970's I thought the exhaust system was very dated across the range compared to other bikes of the period (the word bulbous comes to mind) - I thought Goldstar silencers looked great on my Triumph 21 - now I think the original Honda four pipe system looks right on a 1972/3 era bike. Such a pity that Dekelvic do not make a four pipe system.

Are there other new options on the new market that I am missing?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The 500 exhaust conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 10:36:58 PM »
I've had loads of different makes of exhausts on my 500 Ted, Piper, Yoshi, Motad just what comes to mind. Nothing came close to the OE system, both in terms of looks and also in allowing work on the bike. You had to remove the Piper just to change the oil filter for instance.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 10:59:11 PM »
Marvin with or without a g, the early italian ones had fali off chrome modern ones not sure,
As for noise, cant beat a Yoshi race

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 11:08:05 AM »
Exhaust is a dilemma.

I got the same problem. I know what I want, but nobody makes it in a form I can afford. But there isn;t much in the aftermarket tht looks right.
I think back in the day I ahd ONE bike that actually still had original exhaust fitted, and that blew a silencer out after a year. Everything else came with a 4-1.

I loved the old Harris pipes. New options are limited, and used pipes seem to be basically people selling rusted junk for hundreds. Or hacked off downpipes....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 03:34:34 PM »
Predator motorsports in Welwyn list a cb500 4 into 1 which looks quite nice. They also make custom ones, if I read the website correctly.

There used to be an ad in the bike mags for Harris 4 into 1 pipes too + they had a tiny silencer and always looked cool - the sort of aftermarket pipe I expect to see on a big Zed.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal