Author Topic: The New Project - A second 400/4 over 45 years after the first one!  (Read 461 times)

Offline Bloggs

• View Profile
As I have been asking questions already, and getting support from the members, I thought I better do a quick introduction to my new money pit. Its something like 45 years after the first CB400/4 I had, the original was Parakeet Yellow and always fancied the Anatares Red colour scheme, they were quite rare at the time. This was another Ebay ‘Find’, umm!

Described as having problems with sparks, blaming the electronic ignition but used every summer. Plan A sort out the sparks and use for the tail end of the summer this year, then decide what to do.

The bike in general and, specifically the paint work, definitely showing ‘Patina’ from having lived a long life! Started on the ignition system and every step finding age and previous ‘visits’ (dare I say bodges / things missing) have pushed this past the simple let get it running.

It became apparent that it has had at least one major crash in its life, with things still bent or not very well repaired. Previous owners must have a very large pot of washers and spacers from the various aged / non-existent rubber mounts. Various missing clips, wiring adjustments, missing cables etc etc. As frame gets uncovered more rust visible, most of the various engine plates are showing signs of rust and having been over painted by ‘Hand’. Rear wheel brake arm position seems to show it needs new shoes, on inspection existing shoes not too far off new. Drum internally badly worn thus needing much more brake movement to work!

Ok major decision, like the patina but want a safe, working, useable bike for the future! Started as sorting out small problems, now it’s a complete strip! Aim is not to be a concourse rebuild, but to get the core machine into a good, safe state and suitable for long term use, but keep the patina as far as possible! So the plan is to powder coat frame, sort out the general running gear and keep as far as possible the visible patina, i.e. painted parts etc.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: The New Project - A second 400/4 over 45 years after the first one!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 06:00:34 PM »
This is what happens on this voyage of discovery when you start stripping the bike. Arms and legs and all that. Good luck with the refurb to what will be I’m sure a nice running classic!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 06:05:34 PM »
Hi,
If you are sure the drum is that badly worn and not just things wrongly assembled, then I have a good drum available - will need clean/polish/bearings checked etc.  let me know how you get on - I have other bits available too, just shout.

Ian

Offline Bloggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 05:55:10 PM »
Thanks Ian,

I have found a complete wheel locally that should sort the problem.
I'll keep you in mind for any future items as they come up!

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal