Author Topic: Sleeper train journeys  (Read 788 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Sleeper train journeys
« on: November 02, 2023, 07:26:11 PM »
Wendy & I fancy a trip by train to Scotland on a sleeper type holiday for a few days next summer.

Has anyone here any pointers or experience?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeper train journeys
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 07:28:56 PM »
You might be on the right track with that idea Ted  ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 08:23:40 PM »
Done the French motorail overnight from Calais to Nice years ago when I only had 2 weeks hols.
Then recently done the sleeper from Prague to Cologne for a bit of nostalgia.
That was an expensive mistake, better and cheaper to travel by day and enjoy the scenery, especially if you're retired and have the time.

Www.seat61.com is useful for cheap tickets and travel tips.

Happy hols

Skoti
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:47:45 PM »
Can't do outside UK as my health travel insurance is  around £1k for existing issues Wendy's is around £400 so if I add £1400 it just out of my comfort zone.

Offline DomP

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 11:13:41 PM »
I've still never been to Scotland, we managed to get as far as Gosforth visiting our son who's doing his year in industry at Sellafield.  Next year maybe.

1975 XS650B
1976 CB550F1 current project
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 11:14:31 PM »
Did the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Fort William a few years back. Was very pleasant. Ben Nevis, the great Glen ... and it just so happened that the Scottish 6-day trial was on.
Normally end of April, beginning of May.
Ben Nevis distillery was nice too. Very nice 10yr old single malt.

The single track section running through the Highlands is very scenic, and we went through that as the sun was sinking on the way back. Spectacular.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 01:07:10 AM »
My niece has been up on the sleeper from London to visit us a couple of times. She said it was fine, but not a lot of room and she's small and slim. Not saying you aren't slim Ted! 😉
I think they served breakfast early, just before Edinburgh.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 08:14:52 AM »
The train bunks always look comfy on Poirot & Bond films but reality might well be different. Mmmmm might be better to stay in a Hotel.🤔🤔🤔

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 10:54:15 AM »
I know a couple of people who have used the sleeper and both said how uncomfortable and cramped it was with breakfast being served really early. I've travelled from London to Milan three times in the very distant past on a train when it was very expensive to fly. A 22 hour journey in total including the very slow ferry from Dover to Ostend to pick the European train. I was in a couchette compartment, these were six seats by day & 6 beds by night). These trains were always full up. One time I was the only man travelling in my compartment, I was sharing it with 5 women. At 9pm when it got dark they asked me to leave the compartment so they could get ready for bed. When I went back 20 minutes later it was pitch dark, the compartment stank of cheesy feet and I didn't know which couchette I was in! Several minutes of fumbling around ensued. Of course they left me with the top bunk resulting in me hitting my head very hard on the ceiling climbing up to it! Woke up in the morning traveling through the mountains of Switzerland. Great scenery made up for the rough journey.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 01:50:50 PM »
The train bunks always look comfy on Poirot & Bond films but reality might well be different. Mmmmm might be better to stay in a Hotel.🤔🤔🤔
Ted, they are probably on the Orient Express or similar - I'd stick with a hotel!!
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »
Why not test the water for free? You can try it out on line! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiyBxoL0Nw
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 09:36:35 AM »
Why not test the water for free? You can try it out on line! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiyBxoL0Nw

I should have looked at this last night when I couldn't get to sleep 🙄
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »

I'd be afraid of murder, there's a lot of it about if those film series are to be believed  :D :D

Interestingly Ted, I've travelled east coast line and west coast up and down country for work in past years, and fascinating journeys they are too. All the better for daylight travel in my view.

Not travelled on scenic routes around Scotland , but they too look great from an interest point of view. Thinking travel there would be a good trip regardless of sleeper logistics, worthwhile getting something arranged to see it I feel.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 11:57:30 AM »
Many years ago I delivered a Smart ForTwo car to an address near the infamous Saddleworth Moor.
I was given a lift to a nearby station where I could catch a train back to Derby via Manchester Piccadily.

It turned out that the rail line was iirc the Saddleworth Moor Mountain Train - after about 20 minutes this two carriaged train appeared that was straight out of a Museum it was an all wooden type construction so I alighted the train that had about six passengers who clearly all knew one another they had been out food shopping.

This Tanspennine train was doing a steady 20-25 mph - it came to the end of the line at what seemed like the middle of nowhere before returning from whence it came. At this point my memory is a tad faded but I think it was a split level unmanned station where I walked down to the main line where at least half a dozen express trains wizzed past without stopping. I was the only person on this platform with no sign of a timetable that made sense. After about an hour and a half a BR staff member appeared who assured me the next train would stop here.

We both boarded the train and I was on my way back to Derby. That short journey on the Transpennine Train has stuck in my memory as very scenic / bleak. On returning to work I got the "What took you so long" remark.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »

I'd be afraid of murder, there's a lot of it about if those film series are to be believed  :D :D

Interestingly Ted, I've travelled east coast line and west coast up and down country for work in past years, and fascinating journeys they are too. All the better for daylight travel in my view.

Not travelled on scenic routes around Scotland , but they too look great from an interest point of view. Thinking travel there would be a good trip regardless of sleeper logistics, worthwhile getting something arranged to see it I feel.

Most of the rail routes are spectacular.  The East Coast line up to Edinburgh, crossing the Forth Rail Bridge, through Fife and over the Tay Rail Bridge to Dundee and Aberdeen is beautiful on a sunny day. The Glennfinnan Viaduct is a must see as well. 🚂
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal