Author Topic: Disassembly of Steering Head  (Read 350 times)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Disassembly of Steering Head
« on: November 05, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »
Hi,

Before I put my engine back into the frame, I want to renovate my frame. So im stripping everything off it. Apart from the centre stand, everything is now removed, up to the steering head. Bare frame. I have the wiring loom all free but still connected to the headlight. The headlight, bars, forks, guages, front wheel etc., everything attached to and in front of the steering head is currently assembled and on the bike, untouched. I think it is solely connected by the steering stem.

I don't need to do any work to the front end, so I would really love to avoid dismantling it all in order to get it off the frame. However, I do want to get to just the frame. Is it possible to do the front end all in one go? E.g. can I remove the chrome steering stem nut, use a C spanner on the steering race top thread, then remove the steering stem and bearing races, to release the front end as a complete unit?

Is this possible, anyone done it?

Thanks, Martin

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Disassembly of Steering Head
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 02:34:42 PM »
You'd need to remove firstly the top yoke from stem / stanchions, then if you undo the stem bearings you'll be able to separate the whole fork set from the frame by sliding it complete out of the bottom race location.

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Disassembly of Steering Head
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 03:10:35 PM »
You'd need to remove firstly the top yoke from stem / stanchions, then if you undo the stem bearings you'll be able to separate the whole fork set from the frame by sliding it complete out of the bottom race location.

Excellent. Thank you. If I also remove the wheel, that should give enough space to lower the forks and bottom yoke

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal